Potential Institutional Action?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WitcherWolf7

Reaction score
Hi all, to get right to my situation, I had a very embarrassing incident approximately two years ago. During a summer job, on campus, I was describing an SNL skit to a fellow co-worker that could be deemed offensive. Another co-worker was in the room and wound up reporting this to the dean of students. All three of us are poc, and I did not consider if mentioning it would hurt this other student's feelings. I was insensitive. We are all friends, and this other student knew we had no ill intentions, and did not take it any further. A report was made, and our boss all made us sit in a room and talk it out, and we are all still friends.

Other than this, there was no hearing, no warning, or any indication that this was put on my record in any way. I was merely asked to send an email to my boss to describe my side of the issue. and that was that. I graduated last year, but my transcript states I am in good standing. I am not sure if this was filed away as a conduct violation or not, and am unsure of if I should mention this in my application or not. Keep in mind there was no disciplinary action of any kind, and this did not occur during the school year. Unfortunately the registrar is closed and I cannot confirm it with the school.

I hope this is the right place to ask, but I was hoping to ask for some advice? Do you think I am overreacting? What do you guys think I should do? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say not to mention it for now, then send an update once you've had the opportunity to correspond with your institution if they do say it was a documented IA.

This is one of the most ridiculous stories I've ever heard btw. What kind of person reports someone to the dean of students over an SNL skit? At a summer job nonetheless.

I would say not to mention it for now, then send an update once you've had the opportunity to correspond with your institution if they do say it was a documented IA.

This is one of the most ridiculous stories I've ever heard btw. What kind of person reports someone to the dean of students over an SNL skit? At a summer job nonetheless.

As someone who was an upper level at jobs, including summer campus jobs, sometimes you have to do what you have to do. If this was just another colleague, then that's weird. If a manager or supervisor, maybe there was an obligation.

Doesn't sound like the institution (college/university) took any action. Sounds like the boss dealt with a complaint by a student-employee and it was all good after that. It didn't even get to Human Resources, which is where employee complaints end up whereas academic complaints go to the Dean of Students or someone like that. Forget about it.