Potential jobs in Health IT as a Computer Science BS, and with MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovebes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

What kind of jobs are out there for MD's that have a programming/Computer engineering/work experience background?
I was a CSE major in college, worked, and then currently am a MS4.
Applying to match this year, but I gotta plan my Plan B/C/D's ... sigh

I've been programming all throughout pre-med(google 'SN2ed Schedular' - that's me :), and during medical school(reworked Stable Matching - one used in NRMP - for inner-class matching for MS3 rotations) as well. It's my opioid - can't really stop doing it.

I am curious. What kind of jobs are out there for MD's and IT experience? I'd love to get into some EMR systems, but as to what kind of edge I'll get as an MD is something I don't know.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know an EM MD who has 0 computer skills but created an IT company which develops software designed to make the ER more efficient. *shrug*

Do what you're good at.

Hi guys,

What kind of jobs are out there for MD's that have a programming/Computer engineering/work experience background?
I was a CSE major in college, worked, and then currently am a MS4.
Applying to match this year, but I gotta plan my Plan B/C/D's ... sigh

I've been programming all throughout pre-med(google 'SN2ed Schedular' - that's me :), and during medical school(reworked Stable Matching - one used in NRMP - for inner-class matching for MS3 rotations) as well. It's my opioid - can't really stop doing it.

I am curious. What kind of jobs are out there for MD's and IT experience? I'd love to get into some EMR systems, but as to what kind of edge I'll get as an MD is something I don't know.

Thanks!

I think you'll have an amazing edge. I have done some research in this field. When you're looking to streamline any sort of medical data in the hospital, two types of groups come to mind, MDs that have all these clinical ideas and poor programming experience, and engineers who have excellent programming experience but a juvenile understanding of what's needed in medicine. You would be a rare breed.

As far as job opportunities go, I couldn't tell you. But I've been told multiple times that an MD with any residency is better than an MD only. So, I would try to match, and then branch out. Especially at academic centers, it's not hard to find like-minded people, engineers and physicians, who you could start a firm with. I know of such a firm that was eventually acquired by Medtronic for an eye-popping figure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have seen fellowships in IT and health. It's weird, I didn't know they existed before, but apparently they do. They don't require any residency, but they do require a degree of some kind in either IT or CS as well as a medical degree obviously.

I can't seem to remember where I found it... so yeah I'm a big source of help, but if I remember correctly it was on a site that listed off-cycle GME programs.

If you could write a program that prints out vitals and lab results in the morning for each patient on a resident's list, in the format the resident wants, so the students didn't have to show up at the hospital before dawn to copy crap by hand off the computer and instead we could sleep in another 45 minutes, you'd make a goddamned fortune and wouldn't need a residency.

haha such rye sense of humor. sure give me the access and i'll set a timer and print those babies out, warm and toasty from the printer.

thanks for the info. wow, a 2 year fellowship.. in CDC. But then again, I'm scared I might forget all my clinical training .. between MPH or this it would be a hard decision, if I were to prep myself for a better Match my 2nd round.