POUNDED on COMLEX II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hooperg

Just some guy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else get totally and utterly slammed on COMLEX II? From those at my school with whom I've spoken that took form B09C specifically, their exam scores were terrible too.

Anyone else have problems with B09C? I was 150 points lower on Step 2 than Step 1 :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

I took comsae a 668, comsae b 588 ( wtf 80 pts spread?) Had bo9c got 620

yeah B09C, dropped from step 1...was projecting to do better than step I based on UW % and COMBANK...and COMSAE. felt horrible walking out of the exam, guess my fear was justified

also dropped 60+ points from the COMSAE 2A exam...not happy

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah B09C, dropped from step 1...was projecting to do better than step I based on UW % and COMBANK...and COMSAE. felt horrible walking out of the exam, guess my fear was justified

also dropped 60+ points from the COMSAE 2A exam...not happy

Tangent --

What did you think about COMBANK with respect to the real deal? I've
already done the Kaplan QBank throughout 3rd year and heard about
COMBANK and have been using it. From what I remember the questions
are just about as vague as what I saw on Level 1.

Any thoughts?

I had B09C as well and was pretty disappointed with my score. The exam seemed easy enough, what happened? Thank goodness I took USMLE... looks like I'm headed AMA!

Anyone else get totally and utterly slammed on COMLEX II? From those at my school with whom I've spoken that took form B09C specifically, their exam scores were terrible too.

Anyone else have problems with B09C? I was 150 points lower on Step 2 than Step 1 :thumbdown:

B09C and I got a 653..... not too disappointed!!

Yep - same form BCO9 and dropped almost 100 points from Step I. I walked out of the test and I couldn't believe how crappy, ambiguos and just plane stupid some of the questions were. Everyone I've talked to at my school has felt the same about COMLEX II in general - terrible test, poorly written, and just doesn't test your true medical knowledge and clinical thinking skills. Very disappointing.

I would be willing to bet that, considering how poorly written comlex is, your score could jump 100 + points depending on the day / form of the test you took.

I had that, it's the hardest one supposedly. What is the name of the easy form...I think it's B07C.

I had B09C amd got 719 (about 50 points higher then level one) I studied a lot and actually did walk out of the exam worried, especially with all of the medical/legal questions...either those ones never counted to begin with or everyone had problems with them.

same thing happened to me with B09C. Dropped over 150 from step 1. All i need to do now is face step 2 Ck squarely and hope for the best. Even if i was seriously considering a DO program, this step 2 score didnt do me any good.

Definitely not spending the next 5yrs of my life under this freaking system of education.

i'm pretty fed up with the nbome. all of the comments about the ambiguity and worthlessness (what's with all the legal questions?) of the questions are spot on. i was lucky and did well on this b09 c exam (627) after doing the same on step I...

but i failed the humanistic part of the pe.

i don't even care what my grades or scores are to be honest. i work harder to keep myself "outside of the bubble" by following news, sports, and politics. i care about being professional. i especially care about treating my patients like they're my friends...not just names on a list that we're trying to get rid of.

now i have to spend $1,000 proving it in a completely dehumanized setting...with no idea of what exactly i did wrong the first time.

After receiving my USMLE II a couple of weeks ago(258/99) I figured that I would have done equally well on COMLEX II. Never fear the AOA's history of worthless test continues and I received a 585! COMLEX I = 631
As always thanks AOA

I really feel raw after taking this exam and it seems like a number of other folks had the same problem. I'm going to take USMLE Step II CK and see how I do. If I do poorly on it, then it's my fault; if not, then the NBOME just plain sucks (a feeling I've held even after suffering through COMLEX I and scoring in the 6s).

Just pulled every single Osteopathic program out of my ERAS app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dropped 84 pts from step 1. UWorld 65% COMBANK 75% COMSAE form A 668. Was no where near that on the actual test. Absolutely stunned at this time. I have spoken to several people, some at the top of my class who fell into the same boat on this exam B09C. Not sure what to make of it.

I take the CE Monday. How can I tell what form I get? Where is it posted?

Wow I hope I don't get experience the same, sorry to hear that guys. What sources did you use? I'm trying to figure out a plan of attack.

i know a bunch of people that got their COMLEX Step II scores today, total rape.

a lot of people dropped 100 points. most of my friends are devastated i came on here looking to see if that was what was going on for everyone else.

I emailed the NBOME about my concern with my 120 pt drop in my score COMLEX 2 (B09c) as well. I am not sure if that will do any good. Maybe if others do the same, it might make a difference. :confused: There are too many people on this blog, sharing the same type of experience with this test form.

I emailed the NBOME about my concern with my 120 pt drop in my score COMLEX 2 (B09c) as well. I am not sure if that will do any good. Maybe if others do the same, it might make a difference. :confused: There are too many people on this blog, sharing the same type of experience with this test form.

thats the exam my friends took. whats the deal? why is everyone scoring low on that?

Same thing happened with me. Step I > 600; UWorld 67%; COMBANK 78%; COMSAE 604. Step II with form B09c ended up being over 100 points lower than step I. Completely stunned when I saw the score.

OMG. What is going on here? I too dropped well over 100 pts from Part I and had a difference of over 150 pts from COMSAE!!! Could there have been some sort of reporting error? I suggest all those who may feel that there might have been, email NBOME ASAP! I just did.

I am freaking out here.

670 on the dreaded B09C. Spent half a day memorizing vsrs after taking USMLE Step 2. Got a 269 on it, so my scores correlated very well (98th percentile on each I believe). No comsae, no combank. I did feel it was a terrible test but I'm going allo so not sure it makes one bit of difference either way. Sorry for those of you guys who were counting on a certain score for your fields, because regardless of my performance I felt it was a very poor test.

Last edited:
just emailed NBOME too. Now i am officially screwed for most DO programs with that step 2 score.

I took the comlex part 2 on 6/16 and walked out really frustrated at how vague and poorly written the test was. Overall didn't feel too bad about it. I just got my USMLE and COMLEX scores. My USMLE went up by 20 points and my COMLEX (B09C) dropped 110 points which makes no sense since we all know that the USMLE is generally more challenging than comlex!
I'm going to email NBOME tomorrow. I'm also thinking of coughing up the $50 and make them re-score my test. This is so frustrating! I'm praying that this is all because of some reporting screw up.

I don't want this to degenerate into a conspiracy theory spread, but what are your opinions on the following possibilities:

1. Crappy exam yielded crappy results for many takers, regardless of prior performance, test-taking/medical knowledge abilities/USMLE II performance. (most plausible)

2. Mathematical or computer errors have lead to statistical or grading anomalies. (remote possibility given the scoring time)

3. NBOME is fishing for money, hoping that the string of poor scores yields a number of students to give in and request rescores for $50 or so a pop. (most unethical)

4. NBOME is setting the mean low for step 2 in hopes of forcing more DOs into primary care by destroying chances for osteopathic specialty matching with decreased step 2 scores. (most sinister)

This post is half serious and half in jest as I'm thoroughly and unequivocally (Goljan voice) done with AOA/NBOME/etc... I hope it resolves successfully for everyone regardless and you get the matches of your dreams, but they sure do make it hard.

The NBOME changed the P/F standards in March 2009 and it was newly applied to our June 2009 exam. Here is quote from website on 7/14/09:

"The NBOME periodically reviews and resets pass/fail standards for COMLEX to ensure that the standards of osteopathic medical licensure examinations reflect current medical education and medical practice...... For Level 2-CE, standards were reviewed in March 2009, taking effect June 2009. "

I think this new scoring standard is the reason things went the way they went. And I saw it coming because its not like the standards were going to be easier. But I was still shocked at score and expected better.

.... oh yeah.... does any one elses status for COMLEX CE2 say "Approved" now?

hahaha! I like the way you think hooperg
Emailed NBOME this morning. figured I had nothing to lose.

I don't want this to degenerate into a conspiracy theory spread, but what are your opinions on the following possibilities:

1. Crappy exam yielded crappy results for many takers, regardless of prior performance, test-taking/medical knowledge abilities/USMLE II performance. (most plausible)

2. Mathematical or computer errors have lead to statistical or grading anomalies. (remote possibility given the scoring time)

3. NBOME is fishing for money, hoping that the string of poor scores yields a number of students to give in and request rescores for $50 or so a pop. (most unethical)

4. NBOME is setting the mean low for step 2 in hopes of forcing more DOs into primary care by destroying chances for osteopathic specialty matching with decreased step 2 scores. (most sinister)

This post is half serious and half in jest as I'm thoroughly and unequivocally (Goljan voice) done with AOA/NBOME/etc... I hope it resolves successfully for everyone regardless and you get the matches of your dreams, but they sure do make it hard.

I took the same test form...

I walked out of the test feeling frustrated, annoyed with the vagueness and stupidity of many of the questions, and very concerned that I might have failed..

So today my concerns were confirmed as I failed the stupid F***ing thing by 5 points. Im still in shock, and now the question becomes, what the F' do I do to re-study this thing? Ive done combank (72% correct), most of u-world (60% correct), Ive read Secrets, etc.

I appreciate any and all advise. I dont think there is any point in me yelling at the nbome as they wont do anything about it...they already have my money.

hope everyone got what they wanted..

i was a bit surprised with my score..

anywhoo - i went up 30 points from level 1!!

form B09C

I took the same test form...

I walked out of the test feeling frustrated, annoyed with the vagueness and stupidity of many of the questions, and very concerned that I might have failed..

So today my concerns were confirmed as I failed the stupid F***ing thing by 5 points. Im still in shock, and now the question becomes, what the F' do I do to re-study this thing? Ive done combank (72% correct), most of u-world (60% correct), Ive read Secrets, etc.

I appreciate any and all advise. I dont think there is any point in me yelling at the nbome as they wont do anything about it...they already have my money.
Jonathon13180
If you only want to pass it, then I think you might want to consider asking them to re-score your test. I know someone who failed Part 1 and requested a re-score. He ended up with a passing score after the re-grading. He didn't pass by much, but atleast he did. It will save you the 500 bucks to re-register for it.
But if you're looking at it as a 2nd shot, then I don't know have much advice. I did pretty much what you did. I used Combank, Kaplan Q bank and FirstAid and used Saverese for OMM questions. You could spend the money and get some exams from the NBOME. I'm not sure how much they will help. A friend of mine bought a few and scored an avg of 570 on them. But on the real test, she got less than 460. It's totally unpredictable and is a crappy test no matter how you look at it. Good luck!

Didn't know about this form thing until reading this post. Sorry to all who didn't do well. I took the B09C on 6/29, scored 665, down a bit from step 1. Scored 81% on COMBANK, 73% on UWorld. Just did questions to prepare...game over.

So WTF happens if you fail this pig? Retake and hope you can land a residency or is it an automatic 'C-ya, wouldn't wanna B-ya' type of deal?

COMLEX I was vague enough.......what is it about our profession that just has to make it 'harder' than the allopaths?

What did you say in your email to NBOME? I did 30 points worse on B09C than Step 1 but had been doing much better on COMBANK and USMLEWORLD and COMSAE A. I am frustrated with my score...

For those of you who are dealing with the aftermath of the B09C, I am so sorry! I was wondering if anyone could pinpoint what went wrong? Was is just the typical "ostepathic vaguness" that plagues our boards? Was it medico/legal, if so what would you do differently? Was it OMM? I am scheduled to take Step II in a week:eek:what would you do in the week leading up to the exam?

Thanks!

For those of you who are dealing with the aftermath of the B09C, I am so sorry! I was wondering if anyone could pinpoint what went wrong? Was is just the typical "ostepathic vaguness" that plagues our boards? Was it medico/legal, if so what would you do differently? Was it OMM? I am scheduled to take Step II in a week:eek:what would you do in the week leading up to the exam?

Thanks!

Posted my experience with this form over here.

To recap: do not blow off OMM hoping it will be minimal. There will be plenty of all types - sacrum, cranial, spinal levels, etc.

Medico-legal - I wouldn't go crazy with this, just look at something similar to this and focus on the basic definitions of terms. We're becoming doctors, not lawyers.

Know peds, OB/GYN and common IM (COPD, CHF, etc.) very well. Not just labs and tx but also physical exam findings.

Don't be surprised if some longer, more complicated questions appear. Don't get hung up and just keep plowing through.

At 1 week, personally, I'd minimize trying to uptake new info, and focus on making one or two more passes through whatever your primary text was ie Secrets, Boards and Wards, etc. and drilling the high points a couple more times.

McMumbi's nice picture gallery was also helpful to look at in the final days when you just can't read anymore.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mcmumbi/USMLEIIImages

Thanks!
Yes typical osteopathic vagueness and lack of inteligent people to write good questions or intelligent people who refuse to write good clinical questions, but am leaning towards the former.

Luckily I passed but barely compared to my step 1. They feel they have to look smart on paper but really look dumber in the process. I use to be an advocate of standing by ur profession but after this B09C crap, F**K that!

I'll match a community prog allo in the middle of nowhere before i waste my time dealing with AOA and NBOME nonsense again. When u put in the effort, it should reflect on ur performance. USMLE atleast gives u that benefit of doubt.

To think i was going to cancelled one of my allo ai rotation just to fit an osteo rotation in my schedule, HELL NO!. really considering skipping the osteo match completely. they already screwed me with this exam, why pay extra money for app. The step 2 score made my step 1 look like i cheated!

Need to go cool off.

PS: for prep, d word on the street is COMBANK, but get UW to actually learn some medicine. COMBANK is good for legal, admin, OMM ques. Good luck to whoever is taking it. Hope u dont get B09C!

silly test in general... crap about how to fly helicopters, and setup ventilation systems in rooms..some french words thrown in between all that and u have comlex.. its like a halfass test... i took both this year and usmle was hard but at least i knew there was some reasoning behind asking that question..

now, i imagine there are always a few that have, lets call it, a glitch, with these awesome COMLEX exams...but i don't remember hearing such a huge, and consistent, response to an exam. I think it's important to clarify that i am not only talking about the fact that people didn't score as high as they thought they would, but that a good chunk of people seem to have a drastic discrepancy between COMSAE/COMBANK/UW and there actual exams. I have the biggest problem with the COMSAE, personally. IMO, no one should have as much as a SD difference between the 2 exams, let alone 100+ points difference...what's the point if it isn't actually predicting?

Quoted from NBOME's website about COMSAE...

"The correlation between Phase 1 scores and COMLEX Level 1 scores was .76 for timed Phase 1 and .68 for un-timed. Both correlation coefficients are statistically significant. In other words, examinees who scored high on Phase 1 were likely to score high on COMLEX Level 1 later and vice-versa."

i want a recount and rescore and a refund...sigh

Could those of you who have taken this BC09 exam please be more specific in what exactly gave you problems. If you could retake the same exam what would you do differently?
Thank You:(

does anyone think if we all here, who are upset, actually request rescores, that they will result in a beneficial outcome?

i mean i hope so...but chances are grim...but could there be hope in numbers? i wonder (and hope)

we should all try, and see, because i do not see any other way out of this debacle that doesn't end with just accepting the crummy situation and moving foward

Could those of you who have taken this BC09 exam please be more specific in what exactly gave you problems. If you could retake the same exam what would you do differently?

the reoccurring theme is that we have no idea what happened. we seemed adequately prepared based on all the reviewing resources. So what would i do differently??? Not study? how do you prepare for a crap shoot?

sorry, i honestly don't know what to tell you...the upside to this, is that it seems to be isolated to that specific form. don't get B09C

does anyone think if we all here, who are upset, actually request rescores, that they will result in a beneficial outcome?

i mean i hope so...but chances are grim...but could there be hope in numbers? i wonder (and hope)

we should all try, and see, because i do not see any other way out of this debacle that doesn't end with just accepting the crummy situation and moving foward

i'm just hoping for my score to magically change b/c i think we'll all agree, the only thing worse than the AOA's incompetence is their stubbornness. so, let's not be crossing our fingers hoping they admit they were wrong; i think they'd be more likely to fake results that fess up to this mess.

:thumbup: awesome

man i'm pessimistic tonight

That's the problem. Nobody knows what they could have done differently because the COMLEX is so poorly written. Even if you kinda know what's going on in the question, there are always multiple potentially correct answers depending on how you interpret the question. What gave people problems was the vagueness of the questions in general; not any major medical subject in particular.

i'm just hoping for my score to magically change b/c i think we'll all agree, the only thing worse than the AOA's incompetence is their stubbornness. so, let's not be crossing our fingers hoping they admit they were wrong; i think they'd be more likely to fake results that fess up to this mess.

:thumbup: awesome

man i'm pessimistic tonight

i do not care what they do/how they feel as long as my score changes for the better.

The other problem is that there is no way to prepare for this exam. The best source that is available is COMBANK and it's not even that good. For the USMLE, you have UWORLD, Kaplan, NMS, full NBME exams...I can go on. You also have multiple text books to study from. If you put in the work, you will score high on the USMLE. With the COMBANK, your test taking ability is almost as important as how much you know. In other words there is a lot of guessing between two correct answers and it's really picking "What is the examiner thinking" as opposed to what is the right answer. Even the COMSAE, you can see examples of terrible questions. And what's particularly bothersome is Allo programs have no idea how poorly written our exams are and will probably think you lack clinical knowledge if you fail to do well on your boards.

I remember getting a question about the Denver Development Exam and a lot of terms I've never even heard of. The letter writing is a good effort and they will take it seriously. Just be polite and professional and I think they will take these concerns seriously. Even those who did well should voice their opinion if they felt the questions were unfair. I think they will take concerns more seriously if someone scoring a 550+ will let them know their exam was poorly written particularly if they scored high on USMLE step 2. I don't think they are trying to screw us, I just think they are that clueless.

It does impact you because you will be taking COMLEX part 3 in a year and from what I've heard, it's worse! For those interested in fellowship, part 3 scores matter. This effort needs to be started ASAP.

Last edited: