POUNDED on COMLEX II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hooperg

Just some guy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else get totally and utterly slammed on COMLEX II? From those at my school with whom I've spoken that took form B09C specifically, their exam scores were terrible too.

Anyone else have problems with B09C? I was 150 points lower on Step 2 than Step 1 :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

Someone asked this earlier but no one responded. Haven't taken the test yet. How do you know which form of exam you get? Where does it say "BC09".

Someone asked this earlier but no one responded. Haven't taken the test yet. How do you know which form of exam you get? Where does it say "BC09".

When you view your score it shows the test form, if you look back at step 1 you should see a test form there as well.

I failed the B09C exam too and dropped 200 points from my Comlex 1.

I thought I was prepared enough and felt confident with my performance but also thought this test had an amazing amount of random items on it.

I am just devastated......

Members don't see this ad :)
The COMLEX licensing exams do not reflect medical knowledge to an appreciable degree. They seem as if they are simply a means of validating the existence of the NBOME as necessitated by the political foundations of Osteopathic medicine. In other words, it's a half-assed test because it can be and there's nothing we can do about it.

They test knowledge of minute, worthless detail and non-applicable subject matter. Honestly, what benefit does knowing legal terminology or some detailed fact pertaining to Denver developmental scoring as a medical student? As a comparison, if there were a comprehensive examination given for functioning in the ICU environment, the COMLEX would be testing how to repair the copy machine.

All I can suggest now is to wait it out and move on. Take the USMLE II if necessary, but definitely DO NOT give in and pay them $50 to rescore this turd. That would be akin to getting rotten filet mignon at a restaurant after having ordered chicken and then tipping for it.

The other problem is that there is no way to prepare for this exam. The best source that is available is COMBANK and it's not even that good. For the USMLE, you have UWORLD, Kaplan, NMS, full NBME exams...I can go on. You also have multiple text books to study from. If you put in the work, you will score high on the USMLE. With the COMBANK, your test taking ability is almost as important as how much you know. In other words there is a lot of guessing between two correct answers and it's really picking "What is the examiner thinking" as opposed to what is the right answer. Even the COMSAE, you can see examples of terrible questions. And what's particularly bothersome is Allo programs have no idea how poorly written our exams are and will probably think you lack clinical knowledge if you fail to do well on your boards.

I remember getting a question about the Denver Development Exam and a lot of terms I've never even heard of. The letter writing is a good effort and they will take it seriously. Just be polite and professional and I think they will take these concerns seriously. Even those who did well should voice their opinion if they felt the questions were unfair. I think they will take concerns more seriously if someone scoring a 550+ will let them know their exam was poorly written particularly if they scored high on USMLE step 2. I don't think they are trying to screw us, I just think they are that clueless.

It does impact you because you will be taking COMLEX part 3 in a year and from what I've heard, it's worse! For those interested in fellowship, part 3 scores matter. This effort needs to be started ASAP.

All I can suggest now is to wait it out and move on. Take the USMLE II if necessary, but definitely DO NOT give in and pay them $50 to rescore this turd. That would be akin to getting rotten filet mignon at a restaurant after having ordered chicken and then tipping for it.

i understand what you are saying but some of us have to rescore because we do not want to take this exam again

even though i'm certain the score will not change

Took the test today and can tell you. Not much has changed.

I had a ton of questions about medicolegal things. I was asked about groups left and right. "under which act can the physician be charged." I don't even know if I could google it and figure it out. Probably had 10 of these total that were complete guesses.

I also had a few of the latin word questions that left me confused.

The frustrating part was the same as step 1:
If they ask a vague question I could honestly think of 2-3 answers that were correct.
"this patient has hypertension and that has lead to renal failure" where do you expect to see vs changes?"
answers included T3-5 and T10-11....ummmm vs changes for what heart or kindeys?

I had a ton of questions about medicolegal things. I was asked about groups left and right. "under which act can the physician be charged." I don't even know if I could google it and figure it out. Probably had 10 of these total that were complete guesses.

If they ask a vague question I could honestly think of 2-3 answers that were correct.
"this patient has hypertension and that has lead to renal failure" where do you expect to see vs changes?"

I'd say T10-11 if they mention kidney ... but i see your point.

I took it today and thought it was pretty clear. The medical-legal questions were pretty darn reasonable, and I only had a few questions that I was "eeny meeny miney mo" on, but even those I could narrow down to two possibilities.

I totally agree. I don't know what went wrong. My first half was cake and I was half laughing b/c I thought I had it in the bag. I had taken the USMLE earlier in the week and compared to that it seemed like COMLEX was slapping me in the face with the answers. They actually used buzz words like "strawberry tongue" etc which are almost never seen in the USMLE. AFter lunch is when things went down the crapper. The questions were SUPER vague. I always had is down to 2 and then basically eenie meenie miney mo'ed it. There was more legal stuff. Some was gibberish, some more reasonable. My OMM wasn't too bad. Lots of viscero-somatic stuff. I walked out of it thinking I had done okay. Maybe not better than my Part 1 (which was pretty good), but not much worse. So when I got my score, I was totally blind sided. If I had to do it over, I probably would do the same thing (Kaplan Q bank, First Aid, Combank, Saverese). Can't correct something if you don't know what's wrong!

ps) Combank was total BS. Its only useful for practice with OMM questions. The medicine is totally wack!

That's the problem. Nobody knows what they could have done differently because the COMLEX is so poorly written. Even if you kinda know what's going on in the question, there are always multiple potentially correct answers depending on how you interpret the question. What gave people problems was the vagueness of the questions in general; not any major medical subject in particular.

I totally agree. I don't know what went wrong. My first half was cake and I was half laughing b/c I thought I had it in the bag. I had taken the USMLE earlier in the week and compared to that it seemed like COMLEX was slapping me in the face with the answers. They actually used buzz words like "strawberry tongue" etc which are almost never seen in the USMLE. AFter lunch is when things went down the crapper. The questions were SUPER vague. I always had is down to 2 and then basically eenie meenie miney mo'ed it. There was more legal stuff. Some was gibberish, some more reasonable. My OMM wasn't too bad. Lots of viscero-somatic stuff. I walked out of it thinking I had done okay. Maybe not better than my Part 1 (which was pretty good), but not much worse. So when I got my score, I was totally blind sided. If I had to do it over, I probably would do the same thing (Kaplan Q bank, First Aid, Combank, Saverese). Can't correct something if you don't know what's wrong!

ps) Combank was total BS. Its only useful for practice with OMM questions. The medicine is totally wack!

i just want to avoid retaking this exam.

pray that the rescores help.

This is the generic response I got from the NBOME that they probably just copied and pasted from the website:

Prior to mailing score reports, the NBOME conducts a thorough process of quality assurance to ensure that all candidate scores are accurate. However, a candidate who wishes for his or her scores to be rechecked may submit a written request for a hand graded score confirmation with a check for the accompanying $50 fee.
Please be sure to include your name, address, NBOME ID number, and test date on your written request. All COMLEX CBT score confirmation requests should be mailed to:
NBOME
8765 West Higgins Road
Suite 200
Chicago, IL 60631-4174
Thank you,
Testing Department
NBOME

I'm going to send in a request for re-score too. I dont have much to lose, but it makes me angry b/c they are probably making a f*&$ing fortune off of everyone who's submitted re-scores! Seriously makes me want to tell pre-meds to NOT GO D.O!

ps) I took the test on a Thursday for whoever asked before.

i just want to avoid retaking this exam.

pray that the rescores help.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the generic response I got from the NBOME that they probably just copied and pasted from the website:

Prior to mailing score reports, the NBOME conducts a thorough process of quality assurance to ensure that all candidate scores are accurate. However, a candidate who wishes for his or her scores to be rechecked may submit a written request for a hand graded score confirmation with a check for the accompanying $50 fee.
Please be sure to include your name, address, NBOME ID number, and test date on your written request. All COMLEX CBT score confirmation requests should be mailed to:
NBOME
8765 West Higgins Road
Suite 200
Chicago, IL 60631-4174
Thank you,
Testing Department
NBOME

I'm going to send in a request for re-score too. I dont have much to lose, but it makes me angry b/c they are probably making a f*&$ing fortune off of everyone who's submitted re-scores! Seriously makes me want to tell pre-meds to NOT GO D.O!

ps) I took the test on a Thursday for whoever asked before.

honestly, if my score changes, i really will not care about the loss of money

i dont think i want to pay another dime to NBOME in the name of a rescore. An examining body that will charge you $50 to reschedule comlex 2 PE eventhough its easily 9months away, is really not worried about ur education but the amount of money they can get out of you.

Blood pressure is rising again, gotta go.

i dont think i want to pay another dime to NBOME in the name of a rescore. An examining body that will charge you $50 to reschedule comlex 2 PE eventhough its easily 9months away, is really not worried about ur education but the amount of money they can get out of you.

Blood pressure is rising again, gotta go.

again as the score changes it does kind of matter

again as the score changes it does kind of matter

i guess i just dont believe it would have a significant impact. For those that fail, then a rescore is reasonable. But for those with a low passing score like me, its just another way for the NBOME to make some change. The probablity the rescore will improve my already dim chances at a DO prog is low and i dont feel like wasting $50 on that.

i guess i just dont believe it would have a significant impact. For those that fail, then a rescore is reasonable. But for those with a low passing score like me, its just another way for the NBOME to make some change. The probablity the rescore will improve my already dim chances at a DO prog is low and i dont feel like wasting $50 on that.

so you are skeptical that a rescore will even raise a person's grade?

I just subscribed to that new company COMQUEST after a poster in another thread praised their medical jurisprudence questions and I'm really, really impressed by it. They have all those weird latin words I'd never heard of before but seen on past COMLEX exams.

May I suggest to all of those that failed to PLEASE request a re-score. Why? Many others will have taken the same issue of the exam and the scoring will invariably change. Also to note is the fact that the strongest of students take the exam during the summer and hence, the bar is raised. As time goes on and this specific test is taken by hundreds of other students, the bar will drop and many of you will likely pass.

May I suggest to all of those that failed to PLEASE request a re-score. Why? Many others will have taken the same issue of the exam and the scoring will invariably change. Also to note is the fact that the strongest of students take the exam during the summer and hence, the bar is raised. As time goes on and this specific test is taken by hundreds of other students, the bar will drop and many of you will likely pass.

i don't know if they will adjust passing if they get a ton of re-scores, i really doubt the NBOME will be like "ooo we got all these re-scores, maybe we should adjust our scoring"

i mean i honestly hope/pray that they do but seems like a pipe dream

i don't know if they will adjust passing if they get a ton of re-scores, i really doubt the NBOME will be like "ooo we got all these re-scores, maybe we should adjust our scoring"

i mean i honestly hope/pray that they do but seems like a pipe dream

Sent in re-score request and $50 check today. I didn't fail it but I'm hoping it will make a difference.
*fingers crossed*

I'm really sorry to all the people that have to go through this agony of retaking the test. The NBOME is an arrogant organization full of arrogant people who frankly have no room to be arrogant. Every single person in that organization must be ******ed as the questions that they write reflects this. I think what NBOME needs to do is pay 50 bucks and take an NBME exam and see how a REAL exam is written.

unreal, so sorry to the people who failed. my advice: don't report comlex scores if at all possible: just report USMLE if u can, not sure if you can just report USMLE scores and not report comlex as a DO student...

wow thats really encouraging to hear. I failed my step one and barely passed on my 2nd attempt. I wonder what step 2 is gonna hold for me.

I think as a DO student you have to report COMLEX. At this point, you also have to report USMLE attempts if you apply for an ACGME residency. If you only apply for an AOA residency, you don't have to report any USMLE attempts unless you want to.

You only have to report USMLE step 1 attempts, and USMLE step II attempts that have scoring available when you submit your ERAS. If you choose to manually update USMLE scores in ERAS, then it is up to you whether or not to release scores that arrive after you have initially submitted your ERAS. Programs might ask if you've taken step II, at which point I hope you'd be honest. The ERAS application also asks when you intend to take step II if not already taken, so they have that information if you're honest and may ask about scores that you haven't updated yet. I'm not clear on whether programs can actually see that you've taken a test and/or have scores even though the result is not available to them, aside from you telling them through ERAS and/or interview questioning.

Of course, that does nothing for those who have received a COMLEX lashing and would rather not report that score!

Just pulled every single Osteopathic program out of my ERAS app.
I know it is really upsetting to get a score that is lower than you expect, but if you were interested in them before I would encourage you to still go ahead and apply to the osteopathic programs.
I've met people who were part of the leadership of osteopathic residencies who nonetheless did *not* think like the AOA does about many issues. Furthermore, you may very well still find that osteopathic residencies are your best chance o match. In many osteopathic residencies, board scores are not the be all and end all of an applicant.

I definitely am sorry to hear that some folks failed the exam. That really is a hard thing to have to face. I do think that luck plays a degree in scores - sometimes you are lucky enough to get a form that emphasizes stuff you're strong in and sometimes you aren't. That can make the difference sometimes.

is that true though? when they re-score your exam, they will include the data from the most recent test-takers, increasing the sample size (and as implied, including the smart and dumb people)--making the curve work to your benefit?

or do they just re-score it and use the data that was available when they initially graded your exam?

just to calm some people who are concerned about residency right now...

my rotation group had a meeting with the director of clinical education at pcom back in may. his advice about step 2 was to "just pass it". in fact...he said they picked residents for the ultra-competitive pcom orthopedic program based on "how well they'd get along with each other".

so based on this...nobody should be withdrawing all their applications just because of step 2 scores...especially if the rest of your application is solid.

Wow, i'm glad to see this thread (cause I'm not alone!) but sad about the crappy COMLEX step II situation for us all. I also dropped 80 points from my step I score and thought this seriously cannot be true. Just checked my exam and it was also B09C! I vaguely remember having a couple interpretation of latin proverbs in there, as well as several US laws that were thrown in out of the blue. Why do they do this to us?

I wasn't planning on taking USMLE step II, but now maybe I should take this thing after all. Thoughts?

... and I basically felt like most of you after finishing the test, that it was a poor test composed of random stuff where many answers seemed subjective or debatable, etc. although i did think the questions were better than they were on comlex1. I didn't feel I did very well but didn't really care either b/c not going to go AOA, heck i didn't even know scores were up until i started reading this thread today.

Ended up with a 738, i'm not sure how, but I'll take it. I agree that on a given day it would seem ur score could fluctuate widely as the margin of error on this test must be really large.

Studied for USMLE really, UWorld 71% overall, UWorld practice exam 258 i think, used Kaplan lecture notes for IM/Peds/Ob, some Goljan, case files books for psych and IM, lot of uptodate and wikipedia, washington manual of med therap, that little red book of medicine from hopkins, etc. Studied OMT for about 1 good day from that white spiral bound book, overall 2 strait weeks studying for comlex along with plenty of studying during the year.
:):(:oops::D;):p:cool::rolleyes::mad::eek:

... and I basically felt like most of you after finishing the test, that it was a poor test composed of random stuff where many answers seemed subjective or debatable, etc. although i did think the questions were better than they were on comlex1. I didn't feel I did very well but didn't really care either b/c not going to go AOA, heck i didn't even know scores were up until i started reading this thread today.

Ended up with a 738, i'm not sure how, but I'll take it. I agree that on a given day it would seem ur score could fluctuate widely as the margin of error on this test must be really large.

Studied for USMLE really, UWorld 71% overall, UWorld practice exam 258 i think, used Kaplan lecture notes for IM/Peds/Ob, some Goljan, case files books for psych and IM, lot of uptodate and wikipedia, washington manual of med therap, that little red book of medicine from hopkins, etc. Studied OMT for about 1 good day from that white spiral bound book, overall 2 strait weeks studying for comlex along with plenty of studying during the year.
:):(:oops::D;):p:cool::rolleyes::mad::eek:

I find it funny that you feel the need to post what you did in a thread named "Pounded on the COMLEX".... wanna kick my dog while youre at it?

is that true though? when they re-score your exam, they will include the data from the most recent test-takers, increasing the sample size (and as implied, including the smart and dumb people)--making the curve work to your benefit?

or do they just re-score it and use the data that was available when they initially graded your exam?

anyone have any idae on this?

I find it funny that you feel the need to post what you did in a thread named "Pounded on the COMLEX".... wanna kick my dog while youre at it?

LOL. Great observation. There are a few douche bags like him floating around this thread and I'm not sure if they do it out of trolling nature, obliviousness, or overcompensating behavior. To each their own I guess.

I'm willing to wager that in this particular population, there is an inverse logarithmic relationship between reported board score and penis size whereby the 2 digit score never exceeds 10.16 ;)

LOL. Great observation. There are a few douche bags like him floating around this thread and I'm not sure if they do it out of trolling nature, obliviousness, or overcompensating behavior. To each their own I guess.

I'm willing to wager that in this particular population, there is an inverse logarithmic relationship between reported board score and penis size whereby the 2 digit score never exceeds 10.16 ;)

Oh come on...that's a bit harsh. I honestly appreciate those people posting on this particular thread that also took B09C, but did well. Otherwise, it sounds like you're doomed to failure.

I feel for everyone on here that hasn't performed as they hope, because God knows this COMLEX is pretty much a crapshoot. I remember leaving Step I wondering wtf just happened...USMLE is a much, much better exam.

...sorry that i hurt your feelings, if it makes you feel better you hurt mine as well...

I just wanted to let people know that, like someone else said, not everyone who took that form ended up doing worse than expected, and that in fact the comlex, despite being a bad test, is indeed passable

if it makes you feel better then pretend I got a different score

maybe it was my use of smiles that got to you, i just wanted to use them cause i had never done it before

Ah, my mistake. I assumed that since your account was brand new (1 post) you were simply trolling. If not, I apologize, but I still hope I injected a little humor into this droll thread... at your expense, of course ;).

Yes, the legion of smiles did burn my ass when I first read it.

...sorry that i hurt your feelings, if it makes you feel better you hurt mine as well...

I just wanted to let people know that, like someone else said, not everyone who took that form ended up doing worse than expected, and that in fact the comlex, despite being a bad test, is indeed passable

maybe it was my use of smiles that got to you, i just wanted to use them cause i had never done it before

I got a 670 on that form too. Just for all of the people who haven't taken the test so they know not everyone fails/does shi**y.

i'm really sorry to all the people that have to go through this agony of retaking the test. The nbome is an arrogant organization full of arrogant people who frankly have no room to be arrogant. Every single person in that organization must be ******ed as the questions that they write reflects this. I think what nbome needs to do is pay 50 bucks and take an nbme exam and see how a real exam is written.

Unreal, so sorry to the people who failed. My advice: Don't report comlex scores if at all possible: Just report usmle if u can, not sure if you can just report usmle scores and not report comlex as a do student...

thank you!!

Oh come on...that's a bit harsh. I honestly appreciate those people posting on this particular thread that also took B09C, but did well. Otherwise, it sounds like you're doomed to failure.

I feel for everyone on here that hasn't performed as they hope, because God knows this COMLEX is pretty much a crapshoot. I remember leaving Step I wondering wtf just happened...USMLE is a much, much better exam.

Yet so many of the programs use 650 as a cutoff for those of us who took the COMLEX only. I can't tell you the number of times I've been told 'no joy' by programs, even for a 4th year clerkship with average COMLEX scores. I too walked out of Level 1 thinking,"Nothing could have prepared me for that one".....and I was hitting 72% on the Kaplan Q bank for Step 1. I really wish I had known about COMBANK then. Probably would have been a different story.....

Yet so many of the programs use 650 as a cutoff for those of us who took the COMLEX only. I can't tell you the number of times I've been told 'no joy' by programs, even for a 4th year clerkship with average COMLEX scores. I too walked out of Level 1 thinking,"Nothing could have prepared me for that one".....and I was hitting 72% on the Kaplan Q bank for Step 1. I really wish I had known about COMBANK then. Probably would have been a different story.....

Are you talking about osteopathic programs? I've never heard of such a cutoff, nor have I heard of anyone having trouble scheduling an away simply because their comlex didn't pass the sniff test.