• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

PACmatthew

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2002
houston
Status (Visible)
This is to any nurse who deals with PPD readings and really knows their stuff. Do you know if having a PPD done within a month of your last one can lead to a false positive, or simply a larger reaction? I had a patient who I diagnosed with TB, active, and I had been around her for a few times trying to fix her cough before I diagnosed the TB. Coincidentally, I had done my annual PPD the week before, and it was negative. Now, one and one half months later, I am 24 hours into my PPD and my arm has some slightly significantg erythema. I know I need to wait until the 48-72 hour mark, but I am concerned because my last test did not even leave any redness. I seem to recall that there is some sort of problem with giving them too close together. Does anyone really know, and can you give a link to reference? I have also heard that there can be a little redness at the 24 hour mark from the injection, but I didn't have any last time. I don't think I feel any induration right now, but I am getting nervous. Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks.

Matt, PA-C

meandragonbrett

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 3, 2001
none
Status (Visible)
I just had my PPD done last week. Employee health wasn't sure if it was positive or negative. There were several opnions among the EH nurses. They wen't ahead and did a CXR and it was - for active TB. They told me to wait at least two weeks and come back down to have another ppd done. I was exposed 6 months ago to a pt w\active TB. BTW- what does the "-C" mean in "PA-C"?

Brett

About the Ads
This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.