PPS for Clinical Positions at Midyear

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sld14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience at PPS at Midyear for clinical positions? I will be applying for jobs now that I am a current PGY-2 resident. So far I have 5 interviews and no clue what to expect.

Is it more formal sit-down interview or a get-to-know-you type of setting?

How many interviews is too many? I have 5 confirmed thus far and have yet to hear back from 6 programs, I am debating on applying for more over fear of being overwhelmed (I have a poster and recruiting for my current program as well).

I've heard it varies but would appreciate experiences that anyone has, specifically applying for clinical positions (NOT residency or fellowship).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It definitely is an interview, but it’s more informational to make sure you want to actually apply and have an on-site interview later.

Bring your CV, be prepared to talk about your research and projects, but there won’t be as much of the “tell us about a time...” questions.

There’s no such thing as too many, unless you take up the time of a program you know you aren’t interested in geographically, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I did it during PGY-1. Got 3 on-site interviews from places I talked to at PPS. None of them hired me though (and in hindsight this is a good thing).

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have experience at PPS at Midyear for clinical positions? I will be applying for jobs now that I am a current PGY-2 resident. So far I have 5 interviews and no clue what to expect.

Is it more formal sit-down interview or a get-to-know-you type of setting?

How many interviews is too many? I have 5 confirmed thus far and have yet to hear back from 6 programs, I am debating on applying for more over fear of being overwhelmed (I have a poster and recruiting for my current program as well).

I've heard it varies but would appreciate experiences that anyone has, specifically applying for clinical positions (NOT residency or fellowship).
What is your PGY2 in? Where are you looking to go or stay? Depending upon your specialty you could be looking at multiple offers and quickly.

What is your PGY2 in? Where are you looking to go or stay? Depending upon your specialty you could be looking at multiple offers and quickly.

My PGY-2 is in Infectious Diseases. I would like to stay where I am in Buffalo but that is really not realistic d/t ID being pretty much saturated here somehow. Setting my sights on staying in the Northeast, so I am pretty much open to anything in the Northeast.

I used PPS as a PGY-2 to look for informatics positions - all of them were for full-time positions except for 1, which was a fellowship. I thought it was extremely beneficial. I can't remember the exact number of interviews I had, but it was somewhere between 7-10. In my experience, it varies in regards to intensity, some were formal questions and some were just informational. Regardless, I think it's one of those situations where you'd rather be prepared and not have to 'use your prep' vs. not prepping and winging it.

Aside from the interviews that I had scheduled, I used the time to also walk around and talk to the various booths and introduce myself and inquire about positions. Met a lot of cool folks and a couple led to discussions about future positions. What's a bit odd though about PPS is that many hospitals, to my knowledge, don't have a finalized budget until spring. Which means the positions at PPS are usually to gauge interest or they actually have an immediate position that either 1) no one wants or 2) someone vacated recently. That proved to be the case for about 50% of the interviews at PPS - informational, but led to follow-up phone and onsite interviews. I think the latter is what makes PPS worth it because it gives you the opportunity to shine in a pseudo onsite interview and could make a huge difference in who they consider for follow-up phone/onsite interviews. Especially since the employers typically pay the traveling expenses when applying for jobs.

Shameless plug, I did a YouTube video about PPS for PGY1, PGY2, and jobs if you're interested in checking out. Best of luck!

I used PPS as a PGY-2 to look for informatics positions - all of them were for full-time positions except for 1, which was a fellowship. I thought it was extremely beneficial. I can't remember the exact number of interviews I had, but it was somewhere between 7-10. In my experience, it varies in regards to intensity, some were formal questions and some were just informational. Regardless, I think it's one of those situations where you'd rather be prepared and not have to 'use your prep' vs. not prepping and winging it.

Aside from the interviews that I had scheduled, I used the time to also walk around and talk to the various booths and introduce myself and inquire about positions. Met a lot of cool folks and a couple led to discussions about future positions. What's a bit odd though about PPS is that many hospitals, to my knowledge, don't have a finalized budget until spring. Which means the positions at PPS are usually to gauge interest or they actually have an immediate position that either 1) no one wants or 2) someone vacated recently. That proved to be the case for about 50% of the interviews at PPS - informational, but led to follow-up phone and onsite interviews. I think the latter is what makes PPS worth it because it gives you the opportunity to shine in a pseudo onsite interview and could make a huge difference in who they consider for follow-up phone/onsite interviews. Especially since the employers typically pay the traveling expenses when applying for jobs.

Shameless plug, I did a YouTube video about PPS for PGY1, PGY2, and jobs if you're interested in checking out. Best of luck!

Very helpful! Thanks so much!!