PPS for PGY1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

choosehapiness

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if going through PPS for a PGY-1 residency is worth it? I know that not very many PGY-1 programs participate and it is mostly geared towards PGY-2. However I am mainly interested in out-of-state programs so PPS might be a chance for more exposure? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't speak specifically to this, but I had a couple friends go through PPS for PGY1 for a couple programs. Narrow your programs to those you are interested in and see if they do PPS. The ~15-20 programs I was initially considering (east coast/southeast) did not conduct interviews with PPS. A few of my classmates on the other hand did PPS (prob less than 5 people)

If the programs you are considering do PPS, make sure you get there EARLY to sign up for spots.

I'd contact PGY1 programs/residents and ask questions to them to at least build some sort of familiarity and reach out to preceptors/faculty/work colleagues to see if there are any contacts you can reach out to.

Does anyone know if going through PPS for a PGY-1 residency is worth it? I know that not very many PGY-1 programs participate and it is mostly geared towards PGY-2. However I am mainly interested in out-of-state programs so PPS might be a chance for more exposure? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
In this day and age that is only way I would go is with an ASHP Accredited Residency. Are you thinking about applying to a non-ASHP Residency? There are no where near enough PGY1 sites for the available students looking to complete their Residency. if you want to increase the odds of getting the type of job you and where you want I highly recommend a Residency (I'm a neutral party too!!)