PR/Hyperlearning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

12R34Y

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone please give a thumbs up or thumbs down on Princeton Review's MCAT class. taking it this summer. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Princeton/Hyperlearning is a pretty good program, at least it was when I took it 3 years ago. Hyperlearning was so good in fact, Princeton bought them out to replace their own.

mig www.synapticlink.com

Thumbs up on their materials and curriculum. Books are easy to read, follow, and learn from when done independently. "Lectures" cover most important topics for exam.

Thumbs down on their administration. Poorly-handled by employees who are college students, materials not sent to sites in enough quantities, practice test scores delayed often. More simply, very obvious lack of organization... and all this at a site for students at an Ivy League university (when they originally said this site was the best-run in the region... go figure).

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with smile. The materials are excellent but you're really taking your chances with the instructors.
My advice is take the course, attend the classes for long enough to tell which instructors don't care. Then stop going to those classes but continue the ones with the good instructors.
I learned most of what I did from the course manual. I studied it on my own. It's hard if you're taking classes while you're in the program. Good Luck, see if you can get discounts by joining with a buddy or being a member of certain pre-med associations (I'm not sure which ones).

The PR review course definitely served its purpose. The review materials were excellent and put into a language that was easy to grasp, especially helpful for non science majors. One bit of advice though, if you consider yourself a self starting, independent learner, then save yourself the money (about half the normal cost of tuition, around $600) and buy the books, manuals, and diagnostic exams. PR does offer this option, however it's not advertised, I'm sure you can understand why at $1200 a pop!! If however, you feel you may need the additional help from an instructor, take the course. I took it for preparation of the recent April MCAT, and to be honest I would have seriously choked on the test without the prep course (not to imply that still hasn't happened, I'll find out the results in June). However, halfway through the course I realized all I really needed were the study materials, but hindsight is always 20/20. Then there is that other issue of having competent, caring instructors. I was fortunate in having awesome instructors, but I've also heard horror stories of instructors giving out false and detrimental information. None the less good luck and study hard!!!!!