Practical info on immunizations in retail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MIRPh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm hoping to switch from an independent pharmacy to a retail setting. Even though I got a immunization certificate few years ago, I never had to immunize at the independent. So I'm kind of anxious. Of course I have brushed up on the theory but can u experienced immunizers share any helpful tips ?
For e.g.
1) When a customer asks for a MMR or pneumococcal vaccine, what if we don't have his immunization history? Do we just take him on his word or do we assume that if insurance covers it, it's alright?
2) If a customer comes for a catch up immunization or if he/ she doesn't know when/ if he has had the shot before , how do u deal with the situation?
3) Does the pharmacy system provide assistance with vaccination schedules etc

Basically I want to get an idea of the actual happenings , in this regard
Thanks a lot, guys

Members don't see this ad.

The general recommendation is that with an unclear history, people are better off getting one too many immunizations than one too few. If you can get their history somewhere (state database, PCP, or other pharmacy) make an effort, but it's not the end of the world if you can't.

For normal schedules/recommendations, it's all on immunize.org

Reactions: 1 user
If possible, have the person bring in a document of all vaccines he/she has received with dates of administration (odds are though, most patients are completely disorganized though). Definitely take the time & clarify with the patient before making any hasty decisions; they can always set up an appointment. In a retail setting, check with your district manager about the company's vaccine protocol beforehand. Some of the computer systems do actually use patient parameters to screen (mostly based on age) for certain vaccinations (i.e. influenza, pneumococcal, herpes-zoster), but again, like zelman mentioned, omission of data requires clarification & documentation.

Check out ACIP too

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for shedding some light on this topic! Appreciate it

Hi all,
I'm hoping to switch from an independent pharmacy to a retail setting. Even though I got a immunization certificate few years ago, I never had to immunize at the independent. So I'm kind of anxious. Of course I have brushed up on the theory but can u experienced immunizers share any helpful tips ?
For e.g.
1) When a customer asks for a MMR or pneumococcal vaccine, what if we don't have his immunization history? Do we just take him on his word or do we assume that if insurance covers it, it's alright?
2) If a customer comes for a catch up immunization or if he/ she doesn't know when/ if he has had the shot before , how do u deal with the situation?
3) Does the pharmacy system provide assistance with vaccination schedules etc

Basically I want to get an idea of the actual happenings , in this regard
Thanks a lot, guys

(Unrelated: god have mercy on your soul if you've *only* worked independent)

1. Do it anyway. Check the ACIP recommendations

2. First thing I'd do is call their insurance to find out when the last you've a paid claim for the vaccine was submitted. Then I'd call their PCP to see if they have info.

3.) Probably not