Practice Exams, which to use as retaker?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yoyyy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a retaker, went through the AAMC's and I think TBR 1-3. I've seen this top practice exam list in past posts from Sn2ed

1. AAMC #7-11
2. BR #1-7
3. Kaplan #1-6
4. AAMC #3-5
5. TPR
6. Kaplan #7-10/GS

I'm trying to figure out which would work best for me? Should I do the rest of TBR? And the certain Kaplan ones? What do you all think? With my past experience with TBR, I thought they were decent but Verbal (especially this one) and Bio weren't too representative of AAMC but should I still go ahead and use them as practice? I'm not sure if the opinion on these changed? Which ones should I take?:confused:

Also, I feel like to get accustomed to the real thing, I should still take maybe a couple AAMC tests towards the end to kind of be familiar again with their format, do you think this would be okay to do?

Members don't see this ad.

So I am a retaker, went through the AAMC's and I think TBR 1-3. I've seen this top practice exam list in past posts from Sn2ed

1. AAMC #7-11
2. BR #1-7
3. Kaplan #1-6
4. AAMC #3-5
5. TPR
6. Kaplan #7-10/GS

I'm trying to figure out which would work best for me? Should I do the rest of TBR? And the certain Kaplan ones? What do you all think? With my past experience with TBR, I thought they were decent but Verbal (especially this one) and Bio weren't too representative of AAMC but should I still go ahead and use them as practice? I'm not sure if the opinion on these changed? Which ones should I take?:confused:

Also, I feel like to get accustomed to the real thing, I should still take maybe a couple AAMC tests towards the end to kind of be familiar again with their format, do you think this would be okay to do?

Did you finish all the AAMC's?

I would go through examkracker's for content review and then use the TBR's questions. TBR's content review is WAY above and beyond what is needed to do well -- and by well I mean mid 30s.

Did you finish all the AAMC's?

I would go through examkracker's for content review and then use the TBR's questions. TBR's content review is WAY above and beyond what is needed to do well -- and by well I mean mid 30s.

Unfortunately yes I have for AAMC. However, did you see my other questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
sad-puppy-1.jpg

Anyone? :confused:

when did you take your last mcat?
im a retaker, took mine over a year ago and Im using AAMC over, and most of the answers I dont remember.
I also took the TPR tests, which were harder than AAMC but were a good practice.

when did you take your last mcat?
im a retaker, took mine over a year ago and Im using AAMC over, and most of the answers I dont remember.
I also took the TPR tests, which were harder than AAMC but were a good practice.

Less than a year ago. Yeah I was definitely considering doing those. Unfortunately, I have done all the AAMC's. Even though I don't remember the answers, I still have a "glimpse" of memory with some passages and I don't like that feeling of familiarity since each MCAT is entirely new and different. Do you think all of them are worth taking?

Retake the AAMCs w/ the understanding that your scores might be inflated. Your goal would be to further your familiarity w/ the structure of the exam: timing, question stems/styles etc. At the end of the day, the AAMCs are the most valuable testing resource available, even after you have taken them.

You can then complete the assessments, timing them strictly, if you haven't done so yet.

Retake the AAMCs w/ the understanding that your scores might be inflated. Your goal would be to further your familiarity w/ the structure of the exam: timing, question stems/styles etc. At the end of the day, the AAMCs are the most valuable testing resource available, even after you have taken them.

You can then complete the assessments, timing them strictly, if you haven't done so yet.

True. AAMC are the the best. Try to retake them with good understanding and getting familiar with how the real mcat would be.
Even i did those exams again and i am still missing 10-12 questions on re-take. So i am going back to the ones i missed and trying to understand completely what i did wrong.
I noticed that most of the answers are right in the passage. If your content is strong then you would read the passage fast and understand whats going on. Make sure you review your content everyday for at least 3 hours to keep it in fresh in your mind.

I'm a retaker as well and I'm redoing the AAMC tests I did last year (3-8). I noticed that I don't remember any details about the passages or the questions. The passages look familiar, but that's OK. Chances are you will come across a passage or two on your real test that will look familiar. That's because there are certain topics that mcat test makers like to use. That doesnt mean that you will have the same passages verbatim, but you will come across passages that contain concepts similar to those you encountered in your practice.

Take advantage of the AAMC material. Do them over and over until you develop good understanding of how these tests are written. Teach your brain to adapt to their testing style.

I'm a retaker as well and I'm redoing the AAMC tests I did last year (3-8). I noticed that I don't remember any details about the passages or the questions. The passages look familiar, but that's OK. Chances are you will come across a passage or two on your real test that will look familiar. That's because there are certain topics that mcat test makers like to use. That doesnt mean that you will have the same passages verbatim, but you will come across passages that contain concepts similar to those you encountered in your practice.

Take advantage of the AAMC material. Do them over and over until you develop good understanding of how these tests are written. Teach your brain to adapt to their testing style.

Understood. Thanks a ton! I will definitely re-take some of these towards the end of studying. However, what would you all recommend in addition? TPR? TBR? (Honestly, love the PS practice but IMO Verbal and Bio was just ridiculous and it didn't even feel right when I tried reviewing some of these) Or even Kaplan?

BUMP.

As I was searching through old posts, another poll stated this:

Kaplan 1-6 > TBR > TPR > GS

Although the list I posted earlier via Sn2 I think stated this,

2. BR #1-7
3. Kaplan #1-6
4. AAMC #3-5
5. TPR
6. Kaplan #7-10/GS

What dou all think? Kaplan or TBR or TPR? In regards to after the AAMC? :confused:

BUMP.

As I was searching through old posts, another poll stated this:

Kaplan 1-6 > TBR > TPR > GS

Although the list I posted earlier via Sn2 I think stated this,

]2. BR #1-7
3. Kaplan #1-6
4. AAMC #3-5
5. TPR
6. Kaplan #7-10/GS

What dou all think? Kaplan or TBR or TPR? In regards to after the AAMC? :confused:

A few weeks ago, I made a thread very similar to this one, and among the replies in my thread, THIS was the best, most thoroughly researched and comprehensive reply I got that backs your earlier list via Sn2:

SN2ed posted that list on 11/15/2009. I have seen more current lists from him. The revised ranking from Longshanks later in that thread had the following.

Longshanks:

These posts were all made before the release of AAMC 11, which it seems has taken over the top spot on the must do list.

The quote Forkit referenced above came with a poll that ended up with:
  • BR 53 votes
  • PR 14 votes
  • K 21 votes
  • GS 27 votes

AAMC was not an option in that poll.

If you combine the results above with two polls that were linked by SN2ed (that included AAMC), the results sum to be:
  • BR 78 votes
  • PR 34 votes
  • K 47 votes
  • GS 37 votes
  • others 21 votes

AAMC dominated the other two polls getting 59.3% of the votes in one poll and 82% in the other.

Hope that answers your question :) Good luck!

Thanks so much! Although, what is your advice on TBR Verbal? With my experience, I feel like it definitely wasn't representative for Verbal. Should I simply try to substitute these or just go ahead and do them?

A few weeks ago, I made a thread very similar to this one, and among the replies in my thread, THIS was the best, most thoroughly researched and comprehensive reply I got that backs your earlier list via Sn2:

Do you think it would be okay for me to substitute some the TPRH Verbal Tests instead of the TBR Verbal, if I were to go with TBR? Or should I just stick to TBR if I do those? I understand TBR gets a great rep but I am just not too big of a fan on Verbal (and a little Bio).