Practice models in non-academic ICUs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Docdoc4545

Reaction score
Do most non-academic ICUs have NPs and PAs that act as residents and as an attending you just cosign their notes for documentation and are there on rounds? Or is it more common for you as the ICU MD to just be in charge of the entire ICU without midlevel support (e.g. you are doing all documentation, procedures, calling consults, etc). What is the prevalence of each of these practice models in the community and does having mid-level "residents" typically result in lower salary for the MD?

Members don't see this ad.

Some places have midlevels and some don’t. Based on my experience, most places have midlevels.

Each place has their own way of utilizing them as well. So not in all places are they writing l the notes and you just make addendums to their notes. Most places split their patients between NP and MD some kind of way from what I saw.

However, I don’t think that affects anyone’s salary in a negative way.

Do most non-academic ICUs have NPs and PAs that act as residents and as an attending you just cosign their notes for documentation and are there on rounds? Or is it more common for you as the ICU MD to just be in charge of the entire ICU without midlevel support (e.g. you are doing all documentation, procedures, calling consults, etc). What is the prevalence of each of these practice models in the community and does having mid-level "residents" typically result in lower salary for the MD?

We have an APP on both during the day and night where I work. We use them mostly like interns. They put in orders and take first pages for everything except admits and consults (Docs want to talk to docs on those issues). They will write some notes but almost always on rocks or transfers out. They will do most of the central lines. It really frees me up to get **** done.

Reactions: 1 user