Practice questions MS1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonathani1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We've just started Biochem and Physiology (MS1), and I'm looking for sources for practice questions or tips on approaching these classes. Plain old reading the text/summarizing isn't working so hot for me.

Members don't see this ad.

We've just started Biochem and Physiology (MS1), and I'm looking for sources for practice questions or tips on approaching these classes. Plain old reading the text/summarizing isn't working so hot for me.

There are plenty of review/question books out there such as BRS Biochem, Champ and Harvey Biochem or Guyton's Review book for Medical Physiology or BRS Physiology, Costanza. The best questions are the ones that you make up yourself or old tests from the particular courses that you are taking.

Tips for approaching these classes:
  • Never go to class unprepared. This means quick read of the text, quick outline of what the lecture will cover. You need to know what to take notes on before and not after lecture. If you save your reading until a couple of days before the exam, you are behind.
  • Never, never, NEVER get behind. If you have the misfortune to find yourself behind the class, go immediately to where the class is and catch up on weekends.
  • Take minimal notes in class (only those things that are not in the text/syllabus).
  • Review and correct your notes as soon as you are done with the lecture.
  • Listen more than you write. If you are trying to get down every word, you are missing the concepts.
  • Things to write down would be concepts that are not explained in the book or those that are emphasized by the professor during lecture.
  • Review the previous lecture before you study the current lecture.
  • Review a week's worth of lectures on the weekend and make sure that you are getting the big picture.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info njbmd. Some of the tips you have listed I've learned the hard way. :oops: I'm going to implement the others.

How extensive do you make your pre-class outline? Should it include definitions, or just major concepts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info njbmd. Some of the tips you have listed I've learned the hard way. :oops: I'm going to implement the others.

How extensive do you make your pre-class outline? Should it include definitions, or just major concepts?

Just the major concepts and things that were defined in the text but not definitions per se. I didn't spend loads of time preoutling textbooks but just listed things to know what was there and not there so I could get those notes in lecture.

for biochem and physio, you must master big pictures and concepts first. Then, try to understand how all the details fit into those big pictures. If you just memorize things without TRULY understanding and not knowing how to apply, you won't honor those classes. Also, try to focus on how some pathways, mechanisms or bodily functions, or lack thereof, can cause diseases etc. However, know that just learning the big pictures and important concepts won't get you above average either.

I've decided I need to do TONS of practice questions from different (medical or other) schools.

Does anybody know good medical school websites for practice questions? Thanks.

I don't intend to derail your thread, but aren't exams/practice questions considered the property of the medical schools? Are we legally allowed to distribute the questions to students of other schools? I ask because I remember the MCAT section of SDN stating that MCAT questions are the property of AAMC and can't be posted.

um.. also everyschool has their own curriculum and also why? are you going to be starting next fall or is this to prep for step 1?

As others have said, I'm not sure where you're coming from (not yet matriculated or studying for Step I). However, an excellent site for anatomy is the one from the University of Michigan (I've included the link below). More specifically, it has both practical and theoretical questions, so you get the best of both worlds. As far as generalized practice questions are concerned, if you're really gung-ho, I'd check out Qbank or Qbook; you'll have more questions than your heart desires.

http://anatomy.med.umich.edu/