Practice Tests vs. the real thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jellyjelly85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I haven't seen this thread posted since the MCAT switched to computer-based, so I'm trying again. I'm taking the test in April, and I've taken several Kaplan and AAMC practice tests. I get similar scores on both, but find Kaplan questions harder (but graded with an easier scale).

To anyone who's taken the MCAT (since it's moved to computer), how did your scores compare to AAMC and Kaplan practice tests? And how would you compare question difficulty?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I haven't seen this thread posted since the MCAT switched to computer-based, so I'm trying again. I'm taking the test in April, and I've taken several Kaplan and AAMC practice tests. I get similar scores on both, but find Kaplan questions harder (but graded with an easier scale).

To anyone who's taken the MCAT (since it's moved to computer), how did your scores compare to AAMC and Kaplan practice tests? And how would you compare question difficulty?

Thanks!
I was consistently averaging 35-36 on the last 7 CBT AAMC tests before taking the real thing. To my great dismay, I dropped to a 31 :eek:on the real thing, but I think my case is pretty unusual, I think most people do pretty close to their averages on CBT AAMCs

I think Kaplan was waaay harder than AAMC or the real thing

I took all the practice tests over the course of the 4 months I prepared for the MCAT (I worked full-time, and went to school full-time as well). The highest I scored on the AAMC CBT practice tests was a 29, I scored a 31 on the real one. I think they are good prep and well worth the money. I did not pay for a prep course.

Members don't see this ad :)
AAMC 9 and 10 were DEAD on except Verbal which varied by 1 point.

Absolutely save those 2 for the end of your preparation. They are the most accurate predictors of your score.

For me my AAMC were about two points lower and the Kaplan (1-6) were two points higher. When I averaged them together I got my score. In general practice tests are a solid predictor, but your actual score can differ by 2-3ish points depending on material. I'd go into the test if your practice average is two points higher than what you'd settle for. Under no circumstance should you take the MCAT if you're scoring poorly, a miracle is NOT likely to happen.