PRACTICE VISION or Personal Statement ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dknykid1980

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyones ideas about which one will be more important....or will they be waited the same. The reason I'm asking is because I feel like my vision statment is better than my personal statement. Anyone else in the same boat? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I'd have to agree that my vision essay's much better. However I personally think they'll look at the personal statement more because it tells them more about who you are as a whole, not just in terms of career. At this point I'm just hoping they don't rule out the other one totally...

I'd bet that the schools will be a bit more intersted in the personal statement. It's basically a 5300 character sales pitch. You need to get across what makes you stand out. I didn't find the vision essay a 'Personal Statement Part II' but rather your chance to show you know what you're in for, are ready for it and have a rough idea of where your interests lie. The personal statement is like the past, the vision is, of course, the future. As for the validity of where you see yourself in ten years, ask any doctor if their ten year vision prior to entering med school was the road they took. All the ones I asked said 'Hell no'. :)

Andrew

Members don't see this ad :)
Personal statement, for sure. This is the first year a practice vision has been included on AMCAS. They'll have nothing to compare them to. I think the whole practice vision thing is experimental, anyway. Probably just a load of crap that will never be on the app again.

i'd say personal statement because the vision essay was, from what i've heard, something applicants were traditionally asked at interviews...maybe they'll use it to spring onto that question at interviews but the personal statement is clearly more indicative of your personality...the vision is a little arbitrary and i think, unimportant (you cannot really work out the details of life 10 years from now in your head now!)

I would tend to agree that the personal statement would be much more important in the selection process since it has been used for years and they have an idea of what they are looking for. Something this new can't be given that much credit by the adcoms. Just my opinion.

I mean they have no history with this thing so I'm guessing it won't make or break an applicant.

I suppose if you put something like "I imagine myself 10 years from now using my powers as a physician to supply drug dealers with narcotics" ...........that might ruin your application.

later

Originally posted by 12R34Y:
•I suppose if you put something like "I imagine myself 10 years from now using my powers as a physician to supply drug dealers with narcotics" ...........that might ruin your application.•

Man, that sucks, huh? ;)