Practice Writing Section??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsEvolution

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone... well, I''ve started taking full lenght practice tests (1 or 2 a week). My question is, do you think there's value in completing the writing section? My writing skills are pretty decent... and I just feel it's a waste of time to practice on this section that I'm not getting performance feedback on...

How have you all approached this and how do you feel it's impacting (or will impact) your score?

TTYL!

Back to the test!

Members don't see this ad.

MsEvolution said:
Hi everyone... well, I''ve started taking full lenght practice tests (1 or 2 a week). My question is, do you think there's value in completing the writing section? My writing skills are pretty decent... and I just feel it's a waste of time to practice on this section that I'm not getting performance feedback on...

How have you all approached this and how do you feel it's impacting (or will impact) your score?

TTYL!

Back to the test!

I think it has some benefits. It will tire you out for the bio, like the real thing. Also, practice does help some. Are you studying independently or as part of a prep course?

I've signed up for the Kaplan online science course. But no, I'm not studying in group setting. I did take an MCAT course 10 years ago (!!) and at that time I learned a few strategies... seems pretty simple. 3 objectives... define, outline, meet three objectives, etc.

Maybe I'll incorporate the writing in the last 3 weeks b4 the test...

Ugh, wish me luck tho... today, I got a VR11, PS6, BS5. Horrible BS!!! Gosh, how much of an improvement would be a reasonable expectation with 7 weeks to go??

:-(

i wouldn't practice the writing section. its not important in the application process. also, while MoosePilot suggests that practicing will prepare you for the fatigue you'll feel on the bio section, i actually found the writing section to be a stress-reliever sandwiched in between the verbal and bio sections, as it is vastly different in terms of thought processes than the other three sections. i would even say it energized me to be a little creative before the bio section.

oh well, different strokes...

Members don't see this ad :)
MsEvolution said:
I've signed up for the Kaplan online science course. But no, I'm not studying in group setting. I did take an MCAT course 10 years ago (!!) and at that time I learned a few strategies... seems pretty simple. 3 objectives... define, outline, meet three objectives, etc.

Maybe I'll incorporate the writing in the last 3 weeks b4 the test...

Ugh, wish me luck tho... today, I got a VR11, PS6, BS5. Horrible BS!!! Gosh, how much of an improvement would be a reasonable expectation with 7 weeks to go??

:-(

What kind of practice test were you using? The prep course tests are often skewed to being harder than the real thing. I improved 3-4 points in ever section from my first practice to the real thing, so that's my benchmark.

Superdevil, I did think it was more of a detractor rather than a nice rest break, but yeah, if I'd thought it was nicer to have it, I would have practiced w/o it. Whatever sucks most, practice (well as long as it's close to real conditions) :D

Good luck!