Practice

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Premed315U, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Premed315U

Premed315U Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

How are the Barron's practice exams? I bought the book a while ago (after I found out how bad it is), and I'm wondering if it's worth taking the practice exams.

Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sm00th13

Sm00th13 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That book is a waste of time. Just use your friends copy of Kaplan and Princeton Review and toss in the AAMC practice exams (III-V). Hope this help. :cool:

4. kreno

kreno Candy Man
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, Barron's is a waste of time. The passages are fine to read (it's not like they wrote them), but the quality of the questions is ridiculous. Moreoever, they're "scale conversion" is ridiculous. DO NOT USE that book as your primary, or even secondary verbal practice source. trust me.

Columbia's is pretty good, surprisingly.

TPR and Kaplan's are likewise very good

leon

5. nero

nero Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Could you specify further? Are the scores harder, such that an 8 in Barron's is really a 9 or 10 in another book? Also, are the questions harder? I have heard from a few people that since the questions were harder and they had low scores, they were suprised when on the real MCAT they did better than their Barron's projected score.

Nero

6. algae

algae Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

The types of questions asked in Barron's are just not at all similar to the real MCAT. I agree with the previous posters that Barron's is a waste of time. Stick to Kaplan, TPR, and the AAMC materials. The tests offered by Columbia Review are a pretty good review as well, but the AAMC tests are the best.

7. CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Plus some of the verbal answers are just wrong! It drove me nuts..the book would outright contradict itself.