practicing in Caribbean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSambo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seams almost all these threads relate to going to school in the Caribbean.

I am interested in finding out about pros/cons etc of practicing in the Caribbean.

I've already gotten my M.D. and finished residency in family medicine here in the states, but I'd like to get some experience living and practicing abroad.

Can anybody give any advice?

Thanks,

Sam

Members don't see this ad.

How about Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands?

skypilot said:
How about Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands?

I'd certainly be willing to look at any opportunities there. Do you know of any?

Members don't see this ad :)
To practice in St. Martin, you will need to complete a US residency. Then, you will need to have a foreign doctor mentor and sponsor you for one year.

After that, you can spend all your time making lots of money treating rich foreigners and visiting nude beaches.

It's hard work but someone has to do it!

Aucdoctobe said:
To practice in St. Martin, you will need to complete a US residency. Then, you will need to have a foreign doctor mentor and sponsor you for one year.

After that, you can spend all your time making lots of money treating rich foreigners and visiting nude beaches.

It's hard work but someone has to do it!

Do you know of any clinics that need someone. I have already finished my U.S. residency so I'm ready to be sponsored and visit the nude beaches! :laugh:

Being a US doctor will put you in excellent position to practice in the Caribbean. Sint Marteen is the hardest island to practice in because it is the most advanced. There is a large mix of European influence on the island.

Here are my recommendations:

1. If you really want to practice in the Caribbean, you may want to obtain a faculty position at one of the Caribbean Medical schools. Most of the positions are only teaching -- so you have a lot of free time. Some of them have light research requirements to satisfy state licensing boards but this is a joke compared to the US. Plus, you make really good money and can pratice without a mentor on those islands.

2. Obtaining a Sponsorship is very easy. Although I am not on the island, I will call the school and ask for a list of doctors in the area. I can PM it to you also. Just let me know if you want me to do that.

Now, about the nude beaches. Here is what I know. Many of the people are old and ugly. But, a female student PM'd me and told me that many of the people are "hotties (female language)" and she enjoyed the nude beaches.

Based upon these assumptions, I guess the scientist in me will have to just go check it out for myself. ;)