Practicing in India

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockyroads

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys i just had a question. I am currently in the AUA/KMCIC twinning program to get my MD. i just wanted to know after i complete the twinning program and get my MD is there any way for me to practice in india after that? another thing is if it is possible could i complete my residency there as well? also what is the procedure in India to specialize after you get your med degree?

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys i just had a question. I am currently in the AUA/KMCIC twinning program to get my MD. i just wanted to know after i complete the twinning program and get my MD is there any way for me to practice in india after that? another thing is if it is possible could i complete my residency there as well? also what is the procedure in India to specialize after you get your med degree?

The Medical Council of India holds a "screening exam" for those wishing to practice medicine. Since most indian nationals goto russia/china/maldives for a medical degree, they are also required to obtain an "eligibility certificate" from MCI before beginning their medical education abroad. I believe this is required for indian nationals only.

Once you clear the exam, you are registered with the council and allowed/required by law to use the title of MBBS.

Residency or Postgraduation or "PG" as it is often called is offered in all specialities in all govt and most privately funded universities. The spots are relatively fewer than they are for MBBS and most are not open to non indian nationals. Private universities take outsiders on an NRI fee/Capitation fee and the cost of the degree can hugely vary. While some branches (non clinical) may go for around 50,00,000 INR, others and more competitive ones like radiology and orthopaedics may cost you upwards of 1 crore INR. Private universities also hold their independant entrance exams to these courses and if you clear those, the cost is alot lesser.

Many a times, a simple PG degree may not be enough for you to do well in india. Many post graduates then super specialize and go on to DM/MCh degrees which are basically somewhat similar to fellowships in the US (~ cardiology/CT surgery/ Pediatric surgery/Nephrology etc).

yeah PG in India is not something you want to do buddy... its crazzzzzy expensive if you don't compete. 2 of my friends just took donation seats for Paediatrics and Radio.... both payed above 1 crore....

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys. yea im willing to keep on working my butt off. i understand its competitive/difficult but practicing in India is something i reallly want to do(some ppl usually find it really confusing as to why i want to).

thanks guys. yea im willing to keep on working my butt off. i understand its competitive/difficult but practicing in India is something i reallly want to do(some ppl usually find it really confusing as to why i want to).

I highly doubt you would want to practice in India. Just ask daddy to lend a crore and get a seat in PG in specialty of your choice. Just make sure to bargain because most people don't think a couple lakhs is a lot of money but to you thats an entire year worth of meals.

Hey, I'm also a student of AUA/KMCIC and want to work in India after my med school education. I'm doing rotations in the US now as a 3rd year, and want to work in India after I graduate. I was wondering if any of you got any more info on this since the last post. Anything you can tell me can help. I also would like to note that I'm an American citizen and currently hold an OCI. Idk if that would change the process completely. Thank you so much for your time!!