Practicing Internationally

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1139339

Does the Indian government allow DOs to practice there?

Asking because I really want to split my career between the U.S. and India. Also just wanna work in global health in general, but don’t want any doors closed because of licensing issues.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have an Indian citizenship? Working in another country is not as simple as packing up your bags and moving there. Also, the amount of tax you're on the hook for will be astronomical if you decide to split your time like that. You will taxed on your income in the US, above a certain threshold for your work in India by the US gov. (US is the one of few countries that does this), AND any Indian income tax you need to pay.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have an Indian citizenship? Working in another country is not as simple as packing up your bags and moving there. Also, the amount of tax you're on the hook for will be astronomical if you decide to split your time like that. You will taxed on your income in the US, above a certain threshold for your work in India by the US gov. (US is the one of few countries that does this), AND any Indian income tax you need to pay.

I was born in India, moved to the U.S. at age 2, and was an Indian citizen till age 17 when I became a U.S. citizen (would’ve been a U.S. citizen sooner had a certain orange-haired POTUS 45 not caused immigration chaos).

Currently, I have an OCI (“Overseas Citizen of India”) status. Legally, this means I have equal status as an Indian citizen except for voting privileges and buying agricultural property. So it shouldn’t effect me practicing as a physician.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was born in India and was an Indian citizen till I was 17. Then I became a U.S. citizen.

Currently, I have an OCI (“Overseas Citizen of India”) status. Legally, this means I have equal status as a citizen except for voting privileges and buying agricultural property. So it shouldn’t effect me practicing as a physician.

From a quick search, it says DOs have unlimited practice rights in India for "short-term work" (probably to protect Indian MBBS) and the MCI recently recognized the degree to be equivalent to Indian MBBS (MCI recognises US Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Degree, holds it equivalent to MBBS).

I don't think the degree itself will hold you back. If anything, it'll be specific Indian labor laws and tax laws in the US.

Reactions: 1 users
From a quick search, it says DOs have unlimited practice rights in India for "short-term work" (probably to protect Indian MBBS) and the MCI recently recognized the degree to be equivalent to Indian MBBS (MCI recognises US Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Degree, holds it equivalent to MBBS).

I don't think the degree itself will hold you back. If anything, it'll be specific Indian labor laws and tax laws in the US.

So I’d pay income taxes on my whole income to both the Indian and U.S. government?

So I’d pay income taxes on my whole income to both the Indian and U.S. government?

I don't know exactly how it works, but the gist of it is your "US income" and your "Indian income" will both be taxed by the US, in addition to the Indian government taking their cut. In 2021 you could deduct up to $112,000 from your foreign income to be taxed. Taking a simplified scenario:

Let's say you made $150,000 during your time in the US. You're on the hook for income tax on that amount.

Now, you fly to India. You make another $150,000. Well, theoretically that's subject to both Indian income tax and the US foreign income tax (there are of course deductions/country laws that affect this, but the general idea holds true). Let's say you deduct the full $112,000 from the income; you're on the hook for tax on the the remaining $38,000. So your taxable US income would probably be $150,000 + $38,000 = $188,000 (but I don't know how the math exactly works out). As long as India is concerned, your income for that year was $150,000 in India. You also need to pay them their cut.

This is a hell of a lot more complicated (and probably more $$) than just being taxed for your $300,000 in the US. And this is ignoring all the equivalency sh** you probably have to do to practice in India as well.

I don't know exactly how it works, but the gist of it is your "US income" and your "Indian income" will both be taxed by the US, in addition to the Indian government taking their cut. In 2021 you could deduct up to $112,000 from your foreign income to be taxed. Taking a simplified scenario:

Let's say you made $150,000 during your time in the US. You're on the hook for income tax on that amount.

Now, you fly to India. You make another $150,000. Well, theoretically that's subject to both Indian income tax and the US foreign income tax (there are of course deductions/country laws that affect this, but the general idea holds true). Let's say you deduct the full $112,000 from the income; you're on the hook for tax on the the remaining $38,000. So your taxable US income would probably be $150,000 + $38,000 = $188,000 (but I don't know how the math exactly works out). As long as India is concerned, your income for that year was $150,000 in India. You also need to pay them their cut.

This is a hell of a lot more complicated (and probably more $$) than just being taxed for your $300,000 in the US. And this is ignoring all the equivalency sh** you probably have to do to practice in India as well.

Ahhh ok. Thanks so much for this detailed explanation!

Ahhh ok. Thanks so much for this detailed explanation!

Np. Just keep in mind the way I explained it can be and is most likely wrong, because tax is complicated AF, but the general gist of it is true (I think).

I think the main problem would be finding an employer that would allow you to work a substantial portion of the year in India. Unless you just want to do locums for your entire career which would probably burn you out.

I think the main problem would be finding an employer that would allow you to work a substantial portion of the year in India. Unless you just want to do locums for your entire career which would probably burn you out.

Yea. It seems hard.

My prof is an EM doc and he makes it work even as he teaches, researches, runs a non-profit, and practices as a part-time physician.

But idk how easy it is for him.

Last edited by a moderator: