Any update on international DO opportunities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hollisterdoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know in the past Doctors Without Borders didn’t accept DO doctors. Has this changed? It has previously stopped me from considering going DO.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hollister, beggars can't choosy. With your cGPA history, you will need to have DO schools on your list.
Okay, good point, thanks for the reality check Goro! I really want to be able to help internationally during my career but maybe by then they’ll be more accepting of DOs. You’re right - I need to take what I can get.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To answer your question, yes.

MSF does recruit DOs (FAQ: Recruitment).

DOs also have full practice rights in over 50 countries, including every first-world country except Japan (who, mind you, also does not typically take MDs either)

Reactions: 3 users
I know in the past Doctors Without Borders didn’t accept DO doctors. Has this changed? It has previously stopped me from considering going DO.

Thanks!
Here’s the status from the Osteopathic International Alliance (OIA) as of 2020.

Check out Table 2 on pg. 19. I’ve copied the other relevant paragraph from pg. 18. Some well developed countries look like they won’t yet credential the US DO with full practice rights. Don’t take this as the final word on the matter though. Hopefully someone can chime in with better digging than I’ve done here.

“USA trained osteopathic physicians can obtain a license to practice as medical physicians in 57 countries. In addition to the countries listed in Table 2 they can practice in the following 35 countries: Australia, Botswana, China, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ethiopia, Eswatini, Ghana, Grenada, Guam, Haiti, Iran, Ireland, Israel, Jamaica, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Macedonia, Malta, Mauritius, Namibia, Nigeria, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Rwanda, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, South Sudan,Tanzania, Uganda, United Kingdom, US Virgin Islands, Zimbabwe.We do not have any data from these countries about the number of osteopathic physicians that may be practicing in them.”

Reactions: 1 user