Practicing solo VS Associate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

Bijou

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have graduated as a dentist past June and I have worked as an associate for few months with two different dentists. I did not like either due to their greedy nature and lack of respect to their associate. So I left the job. I am thinking to open my own practice, however, I am a bit worried that I will not be able to mange it being fresh grad: More so not very experienced in all areas of Dentistry. I will appreciate if you could provide your inputs if you have any ideas how to go about this delimma.

Members don't see this ad.

Bijou said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have graduated as a dentist past June and I have worked as an associate for few months with two different dentists. I did not like either due to their greedy nature and lack of respect to their associate. So I left the job. I am thinking to open my own practice, however, I am a bit worried that I will not be able to mange it being fresh grad: More so not very experienced in all areas of Dentistry. I will appreciate if you could provide your inputs if you have any ideas how to go about this delimma.

hi Bijou ,

Being a new grad i think it would be a good idea to at least do some practice with someone else as you have been doing for 1 year following your graduation , try to learn as much as you can about managing a clinic (insurances , employees , and practicing any deficient areas in dentistry) , i am sorry to hear that your first 2 experiances were bad ...just give it another try ..i'm sure there are many dentists who would appreciate you as an associate other than those you've worked with . you might want to be a bit flexable with the pay ....once you get all the experiance you are looking for ....remember you are there to get that experiance ....then you can start your own practice . i think if you still do not feel comfortable managing a clinic it would be more of a loss then gain to open a practice . on the other hand if you do have that experiance and knowledge ...then its time to get your own practice ....if you start a new practice you will have to consider accepting all insurances just to build a patient pool and you will have to consider the area very well . if you buy a practice, find one that has a good patient pool .....keep in mind that buying a well established practice will cost much much more than starting a new practice though it might payoff on the long run !.....................well at the end thats all my opinion and just wanted to share it ..... all the best and good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bijou said:
Thanks MTJ for the advice, I think I should do that.
Hey Bijou

Incase u dont mind can u tell me how much can one earn as an associate dentist ? Also where r u practicing dentistry in US ?

Bijou said:

Hi Bijou,

That was a great acheivement :clap: - graduating as a dentist. I know how hard it is, as I'm on the same path, and i just can not give u any inputs, coz I'm in the begining of the journey. +pity+But if you dint mind I would like to ask how much would a freashly graduated dentist earn working as an associate [considering that hez not under a greedy employer :smuggrin: ] Thanks in anticipation for your precious time. :luck:

drbask said:
Hi Bijou,

That was a great acheivement :clap: - graduating as a dentist. I know how hard it is, as I'm on the same path, and i just can not give u any inputs, coz I'm in the begining of the journey. +pity+But if you dint mind I would like to ask how much would a freashly graduated dentist earn working as an associate [considering that hez not under a greedy employer :smuggrin: ] Thanks in anticipation for your precious time. :luck:

Well as an a fresh grad associate you will be looking at making between 70-100 K a year. Now also depends on your contract agreement are u paid as an employer i.e salary or percentage of production. Most associate get between 35-45% of the net billing.

I hope that answers your guestions

thanks for ur message Bijou :oops: