Pre 9/11 GI Bill?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulSlav

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard much about this subject because everyone I know had parents that retired after 9/11 or are currently serving.

In a nut shell:

My dad retired from the Navy after thirty years a few months before 9/11. Are there any benefits relating to any pre 9/11 GI Bills? I have a lot of friends who have the post 9/11 and get money for tuition.

Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

The pre-9/11 GI Bill is not transferable to family members. Congress was afraid the post-9/11 GI Bill was so generous it would hurt retention, so they made it transferable to family members in return for a few more years of service. Sorry, sounds like you're out of luck.

The pre-9/11 GI Bill is not transferable to family members. Congress was afraid the post-9/11 GI Bill was so generous it would hurt retention, so they made it transferable to family members in return for a few more years of service. Sorry, sounds like you're out of luck.

True. Sorry.

I haven't heard much about this subject because everyone I know had parents that retired after 9/11 or are currently serving.

In a nut shell:

My dad retired from the Navy after thirty years a few months before 9/11. Are there any benefits relating to any pre 9/11 GI Bills? I have a lot of friends who have the post 9/11 and get money for tuition.

Thanks for your time.

My dad had both and I was denied when I applied to use it. The denial was because he didn't name me as a dependent for the GI bill purposes prior to retiring (even after 28+ years of service and retiring as disabled).

So unless they named you a dependent for GI bill purposes (which is different than other things and how we screwed up), you are not going to get anything.