Can you use 9/11 GI Bill to pay for Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maru_99

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been looking into alternatives aside from the HPSP program to help pay for medical school, and I was wondering if GI Bill is one.
I am currently an upcoming college senior, about to join the Army Reserve unit soon, I plan on applying the next cycle. So I was wondering if I can get myself qualified for the GI Bill before then and have it pay for my medical school, along side with other tuition assistance program such as Yellow Ribbon and such. If there is anyone who have used GI Bill for this purpose or know someone who does, please let me hear your story, how you got qualified, what are the requirements, such and such.
Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Post 9/11 GI bill does cover medical school . Percentage depends on your time in service. The way it is set up , you benefit more from going to public medical school , because it would usually cover 100% (if you have 100% coverage ). With private it would only cover about 20 K per year, if I am not mistaken .
in addition to tuition , it pays u monthly BAH at the rate of E5 with dependents Regardless of your rank (zip code of your medical school).

so , it is definitely worth it . Now , whether you can earn GI bill from reserves- I don’t know that part.

Reactions: 1 users
about to join the Army Reserve unit soon

So GI bill wont work for you I don't think because you have to be a veteran to earn it. if you aren't in yet then you don't qualify. if you join now you can maybe get tuition assistance but when I was brand new to the army we couldn't use any educational benefit until after the first year of service. also consider the HPSP for VA and you can always join after you finish med school and get tuition reimbursement. also make sure to talk to people who are currently in, not just recruiters.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what MOS or type of unit are you joining in the reserves? If your goal is to attend medical school in the next 2 years, that could be a risky move outside of HPSP because if your unit mob's fairly often, then you could potentially get pulled for a mob. As for GI Bill, below are the requirements you need to hit to get any of it.

At least one of these must be true. You:
  • Served at least 90 days on active duty (either all at once or with breaks in service) on or after September 11, 2001, or
  • Received a Purple Heart on or after September 11, 2001, and were honorably discharged after any amount of service, or
  • Served for at least 30 continuous days (all at once, without a break in service) on or after September 11, 2001, and were honorably discharged with a service-connected disability, or
  • Are a dependent child using benefits transferred by a qualifying Veteran or service member

I have been looking into alternatives aside from the HPSP program to help pay for medical school, and I was wondering if GI Bill is one.
I am currently an upcoming college senior, about to join the Army Reserve unit soon, I plan on applying the next cycle. So I was wondering if I can get myself qualified for the GI Bill before then and have it pay for my medical school, along side with other tuition assistance program such as Yellow Ribbon and such. If there is anyone who have used GI Bill for this purpose or know someone who does, please let me hear your story, how you got qualified, what are the requirements, such and such.
Thank you all.

Unless your unit deploys in the next year (which might mess up your application plans) you won't have enough active duty time to qualify for GI Bill. Even with 90 days active service you only get 40% of benefits. You need three years active service to qualify for 100%. Yellow ribbon only kicks in when you get 100%. GI bill can definitely be used to pay for medical school, but you need much more active duty service time than you are likely to get before you apply.

Reactions: 1 users