Pre-Application Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nevadanteater

biochemical engine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm planning on moving from my current job this summer and after sitting my MCAT, moving to a new city. I've got a few places lined up, but nothing is set in stone just yet. I do love my job, but I don't like where I'm living and will NOT be staying any longer than I have to. This is almost entirely non-negotiatable (something completely AMAZING would have to happen in order for me to stay).

I'm mostly concerned about finding work wherever I end up. I'm planning on using the next year to shadow and volunteer at a hospital or clinic while working to support myself (by this point all my pre-recs will be done and MCAT behind me) and then applying the following year.

I've been out of the science game too long to get hired in a lab as a chemist (I don't particularly want to return there either) and my only other training is teaching, but without a credential that pretty much limits me to subbing or tutoring work (both of which are okay, but perhaps something I'd rather avoid).

Is it so much of a problem if I end up bartendering or waiting tables? I'm good at both of these things and enjoy them. Maybe being on SDN too long has surrounded me by overacheivers, but I'm worried that pouring beers will not be considered 'serious enough'...

I'm looking into working with Americorps or another volunteer orginization assuming I'm able to volunteer at a hospital ontop of my other responsiblitites.

geez this process has turned me crazy.

N.A

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I'm planning on moving from my current job this summer and after sitting my MCAT, moving to a new city. I've got a few places lined up, but nothing is set in stone just yet. I do love my job, but I don't like where I'm living and will NOT be staying any longer than I have to. This is almost entirely non-negotiatable (something completely AMAZING would have to happen in order for me to stay).

I'm mostly concerned about finding work wherever I end up. I'm planning on using the next year to shadow and volunteer at a hospital or clinic while working to support myself (by this point all my pre-recs will be done and MCAT behind me) and then applying the following year.

I've been out of the science game too long to get hired in a lab as a chemist (I don't particularly want to return there either) and my only other training is teaching, but without a credential that pretty much limits me to subbing or tutoring work (both of which are okay, but perhaps something I'd rather avoid).

Is it so much of a problem if I end up bartendering or waiting tables? I'm good at both of these things and enjoy them. Maybe being on SDN too long has surrounded me by overacheivers, but I'm worried that pouring beers will not be considered 'serious enough'...

I'm looking into working with Americorps or another volunteer orginization assuming I'm able to volunteer at a hospital ontop of my other responsiblitites.

geez this process has turned me crazy.

N.A

I think your fears, for the most part, are unfounded. I doubt anybody in admissions cares how you pay your rent and for your groceries. If anything, I think they'll be understanding. Yes, do volunteer and get clinical experience, and yes, do well on your MCAT, etc. That's important.

Don't worry about it. I'm not an expert, but the notion that all MD hopefuls have to spend all of their time prior to med school in a healthcare setting seems kind of ridiculous and unreasonable. As long as you have some experience and can demonstrate that you don't think being a doctor will be like Grey's Anatomy, you should be fine. Fact is, bartending (and in my case, nannying) pays amazingly well.