Pre-College Classes counted in GPA for med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikolai521

crazed rawlsian liberal
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say that I took cell biology at a university as a rising senior in high school. I am planning to take another biology course at the same university, but as a rising sophomore in college.

How will the courses be calculated in my gpa? I understand that the courses I take this summer will be counted in my gpa for med schools, but what about the college courses I took as a rising senior in high school?

Members don't see this ad.

I did the same thing. If you took a college level course in high school, it is counted in your AMCAS GPA. If your retake the course and score higher, I believe they average them.

Every college class you ever take is included. That includes retakes. Both would be counted as if they were different classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
For AMCAS gpa, do I have to report every institution I took college courses at?

Ok, this is very interesting

In the past I have known people that would, for instance, take organic chemistry at a community college and then take it again during the academic year for a better grade.

I'm guessing those people never reported their summer courses.

If you don't disclose schools or classes to AMCAS and are EVER caught, you are finished. Depending on when you are caught you:
Will never get into med school, or
Will be kicked out of med school, or
Will have your license to practice revoked.

These folks reported their classes, or are taking big risks with their future.

I don't know. I mean--so I might not have done well in college classes I took in high school (I have a B and an A-), and this is considered in the AMCAS gpa.

Will medical schools penalize me for my intellectual curiosity in high school?

Wait, what if I got my EMT certification at a tech school (two year school)? Do they really want the grade for that? (I got a B)

TheProwler said:
Wait, what if I got my EMT certification at a tech school (two year school)? Do they really want the grade for that? (I got a B)

I did my Paramedic at a tech school, but it was just a pass/fail thing. I did not even bother listing it with AMCAS. However, if you did it at a CC or other accredited school, you have to list it.

Um, it's MATC - Milwaukee Area Technical College - they offer everything from assorted tech licenses to two-year degrees, so what should I do? It's not like a B would kill my GPA, but it would definitely suck, since it's 4 credits.

Ok, so I have a question about this thread. When I was a sophmore in high school, I was in a program for high schoolers at UPenn. There, a part-time faculty member taught one class to a bunch of high schoolers. Four weeks into the six-week program, I was caught for underage drinking and was asked to leave without finishing the class. I divulged this under the "institutional action" part of AMCAS, but I didn't include the coursework in the coursework section because I was never given a grade. Is this terrible? I mean, I am not trying to "hide" anything (I obviously talked about it in my application), but I didn't want to submit coursework information for something I don't have a transcipt for. Help!

Honestly, I doubt it matters, but you may want to ask an advisor of yours.

Btw, I just e-mailed the admissions at MCW with my question - hopefully they'll elucidate me on this.

HERE'S THE DEAL:

If you did well on the HS classes, report the grades, and count them in your GPA.

If you did poorly, count the as pass/fail. You can legally do both, since you were enrolled in HS at the time.

I adjusted the grades accordingly to my best advantage.

TheProwler said:
Um, it's MATC - Milwaukee Area Technical College - they offer everything from assorted tech licenses to two-year degrees, so what should I do? It's not like a B would kill my GPA, but it would definitely suck, since it's 4 credits.

I think your going to have to list that one bud

OSUdoc08 said:
HERE'S THE DEAL:

If you did well on the HS classes, report the grades, and count them in your GPA.

If you did poorly, count the as pass/fail. You can legally do both, since you were enrolled in HS at the time.

I adjusted the grades accordingly to my best advantage.

how could you list them as pass/fail if you were given a grade which is on the transcript from that place?

Tex10 said:
how could you list them as pass/fail if you were given a grade which is on the transcript from that place?
Sounds pretty unethical even if there is some way to do it.

nikolai521 said:
For AMCAS gpa, do I have to report every institution I took college courses at?

If you read the instructions for aamcas, it is very clear on this. Yes MoFo.