Pre-Dent Question Regarding Finances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

infernobutterfl

Pyro user
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting my path towards a career in Dentistry, and will be starting a Post. Bac program - Loma Linda Post bac (anyone have information on it?). The program cost 5k. Now I do have a small saving enough to pay for the program and my one year stay there. I am assuming (and hopefully my assumption is correct) I will do well and make it into D-school afterwards.

My question is should I change my lifestyle to reduce as much cost as possible? I believe I alrdy have a simple life style, but just the though that I won't have an income scaries me. I understand that many dentist-to-be take out huge loans for schooling.

How do you cope with the loans? Also, how do you guys live your life? Reduce spending as much as possible. For example. I would love to have a car during this coming year and during D-school (again, hopefully I will get in). I also already have a car. But I will have to buy insurance. Should I just forgo the car and save the 1.2k insurance a year?

I am being cheap. :( But again, I won't have an income. :(

Members don't see this ad.

This is one of those realities that everyone must face at one point or another in their lives. You really need to sit down and go over your budget for the year and figure out what you will need to spend and what income you have coming in to make sure you have enough money.

Obviously you're not entitled to live like some kind of duke because you're a mighty dental student, but there are plenty of avenues to borrow money above what the feds will lend you so you don't have to live like a bum.