Pre-dent school committee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplelife

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about my school’s pre-dent committee and wondering about the right time to face them. I am junior in undergrad. My GPA is 3.1 something. I will be volunteering and shadowing soon. And I haven’t take the DAT.

After reading horrible post by SDNers about their school committee. I am so worried now. I am worried that my school’s pre-dent committee might try to be my obstacle toward my dream. I am so scared to face them. Some of the schools require LORs from science prof., but so far my science teachers were horrible. I can’t ask them to write me one. My last science prof. makes students feel so bad whenever they go to him for questions. Imagine what he will do if I ask him to write me LOR, plus I found out that he is incharge of pre-dental committee !!!!!!! Thinking of this, just makes my heart crunch in pain !!!!!!!! Do we really need LOR from committee, even if we have one at our school? I am going through HELL already, now I have to face people who just might not want me to go to dent school because of some flaws in me. I am scared that they will tell me that I am not good enough.

What am I suppose to do? Whom should I go to? I don't know any professor well enough at the university.

Flaws in me:

I unfortunately dropped my first bio class ever taken at a university. I am transfer student. I dropped it because one of my family member was in ICU and I couldn’t handle the class. It was too much for me at the time. I know it sounds like a stupid excuse. I should have kept it. Dent schools will look at me as a failure now. Something serious always happens in my life whenever I think it will stay stable for sometime!!
Other flaws: I spent 4 yrs. at community college, I am already 23 and by the time I graduate I will be 24 years OLD, and my gpa sucks. I know these aren’t some flaws.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should just tough it out and ask your professor. We all have to confront our fears. Who knows, he might write you the LOR.

No one is perfect. If I was stopped by my GPA and background, I'd probably never even apply. What is done is done, face the future with a positive attitude. We all have our reasons and excuses, stop looking at your flaws and start promoting your accomplishments. Neil45 is right, you need to confront your fears. What is the worst the pre-dent committee do - not recommend you from the dental program? Just study hard, get your grades up, and do well on the DAT. If you are getting stressed about these little things, wait till you get IN the dental school. You will be bombarded with stress left and right, just keep your focus and do your best. Good luck.

After reading horrible post by SDNers about their school committee. I am so worried now. I am worried that my school’s pre-dent committee might try to be my obstacle toward my dream. I am so scared to face them. Some of the schools require LORs from science prof., but so far my science teachers were horrible. I can’t ask them to write me one. My last science prof. makes students feel so bad whenever they go to him for questions. Imagine what he will do if I ask him to write me LOR, plus I found out that he is incharge of pre-dental committee !!!!!!! Thinking of this, just makes my heart crunch in pain !!!!!!!! Do we really need LOR from committee, even if we have one at our school? I am going through HELL already, now I have to face people who just might not want me to go to dent school because of some flaws in me. I am scared that they will tell me that I am not good enough.

Whats the worst thing that can happen if you go an ask for reference letters? -They might say no! So what, just go get someone else. As for the rest of your situation, don't worry about things you cannot change, work hard on things you can and eventually everything will work out for you.
Best of luck to you!