Pre Dental Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blikimore

Reaction score
I'm kind of in a tough position and was wondering if I could get some advice. I'm currently a 5th-year senior finishing up my degree and I am currently taking 16 credits this semester and 13 next semester for spring then 3 in the summer to finish my bachelor's degree in Biology. I took my DAT twice already and on my second attempt, I got a 19AA (21 perceptual ability, 15 QR, 18 RC, 20 Bio, 20 GC, 23 OC, 21 Total Science) and currently have a 3.57 Overall GPA and a 3.49 Science GPA. I applied to DCG as my only school this cycle but applied very late so I don't expect to get in, especially since I still haven't heard anything back. I am going to apply again this next cycle in June 2021 and will apply to more schools as well as DCG again, but I was wondering should I try to take my DAT again before classes in the spring begin due to my low QR score. I end classes for this current Fall semester on December 14th, 2020, and begin classes for the spring on January 11th, 2021. I wasn't sure if this would be enough time, especially considering I'm feeling a little burnt out from this rigorous semester and have been dealing with some mental health issues as well. Or should I push myself and try to do my best because I feel like this would be a good opportunity to do a retake during this pandemic when not much is going on anyways. I just don't want to have to take the DAT again possibly later sometime after graduation and have possibly forgotten a lot of the things I learned in undergrad. I'm really on the fence about this whole situation, any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Is your 13 credits next semester tough ones or pretty chill? I would probably wait. 25 days in winter break isn't much time, and since you are taking it a 3rd time you need to have a higher score - ideally 21+ I would think. give it some time, you can take it again even after the spring semester ends maybe in May ish. I would aim for about 6 weeks of solid studying if possible.

Is your 13 credits next semester tough ones or pretty chill? I would probably wait. 25 days in winter break isn't much time, and since you are taking it a 3rd time you need to have a higher score - ideally 21+ I would think. give it some time, you can take it again even after the spring semester ends maybe in May ish. I would aim for about 6 weeks of solid studying if possible.
It’s a pretty chill 13 credits but still I am shooting for a 21 + like you said, so I would really want enough time to do well. I could study during may but I do have graduation around that time and I also will have summer classes in June, while still having to submit my application on time. So Idk if I’ll have enough time to study during all of that. Should I just go with my current DAT this cycle and then if I don’t get in, take it again next January or so? Or should I try to fit it in during that May to June time

Last edited:
It’s a pretty chill 13 credits but still I am shooting for a 21 + like you said, so I would really want enough time to do well. I could study during may but I do have graduation around that time and I also will have summer classes in June, while still having to submit my application on time. So Idk if I’ll have enough time to study during all of that. Should I just go with my current DAT this cycle and then if I don’t get in, take it again next January or so? Or should I try to fit it in during that May to June time
really depends on the rest of your app and life situation. you may be able to get in with a 19 with stellar ECs and LORs.

How much life energy and motivation do you have at that time as well? If you can eek it out in the next few months and re-take it, you will end up having a gap year anyways to relax. I think taking it another time is going to make the biggest difference in your app with a better score.

But if you can't do the study time with your school year then it may not be worth taking the test another time this cycle without re-studying properly. yes you can re-apply next year etc but that'll put you for a total of 2 gap years - nothing wrong with that but I personally am not a fan of gap years, I would rather just get on with my life.