This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToothFairy8091

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I need some advice: So originally, I planned to apply for Dental school next cycle for 2019 matriculation. However, I just received my first D in Organic Chemistry; and this has somewhat messed up my class schedule. On top of that, I planned to do a research program over the summer, which would not allow me to take any classes. I am really freaking out because I think this will ruin my chances of getting into Dental school. My GPA is currently at a 3.59, but after this semester I'm sure it will go down substantially.
Here are my questions: should I continue to apply next summer for dental school, or wait? Like which would look better? Would the program actually help my application? I was a SHPEP participant this past summer, but I felt like I should add research to my resume, which is the reason of why I am wanting to do it so bad. Does anyone have DAT preparation advice? Also, here are a list of schools that I'm interested in, please recommend others that I can look into because I want to apply to at least 10 schools. Thank you!!! :)
Meharry, Howard, UAB, DCG, and UFL

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!
I need some advice: So originally, I planned to apply for Dental school next cycle for 2019 matriculation. However, I just received my first D in Organic Chemistry; and this has somewhat messed up my class schedule. On top of that, I planned to do a research program over the summer, which would not allow me to take any classes. I am really freaking out because I think this will ruin my chances of getting into Dental school. My GPA is currently at a 3.59, but after this semester I'm sure it will go down substantially.
Here are my questions: should I continue to apply next summer for dental school, or wait? Like which would look better? Would the program actually help my application? I was a SHPEP participant this past summer, but I felt like I should add research to my resume, which is the reason of why I am wanting to do it so bad. Does anyone have DAT preparation advice? Also, here are a list of schools that I'm interested in, please recommend others that I can look into because I want to apply to at least 10 schools. Thank you!!! :)
Meharry, Howard, UAB, DCG, and UFL

Just retake the class this coming semester and stay on track with your plans. When do you plan on studying for the DAT and taking it? I wouldn’t recommend taking it during a full load of classes especially if you are struggling with Ochem, but that’s just my opinion. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
You still have time to retake the class before the application opens. Just take it in the winter or spring, and assuming you pass the class, make sure you send in the transcripts once your grade is updated on your school portal

Reactions: 1 user
Just retake the class this coming semester and stay on track with your plans. When do you plan on studying for the DAT and taking it? I wouldn’t recommend taking it during a full load of classes especially if you are struggling with Ochem, but that’s just my opinion. Good luck!
I'm currently studying for it, and I have set aside time for next semester as well. So my plan was to take it either spring break or early during the summer break.