Pre-Dental Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheth33

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!!
Im kinda new to this, Im a Sophomore Biology major. Ive gotten pretty good exposure to the dental and medical field. Ive done a lot of volunteer work in a hospital, shadowed an Orthodontist, even gone to my Uncles in COnneticuit to get more shadowing. I am currently working at a a office as a sterile technician(cleaning the tools). The reason im so stressed out is that I went to a 4yr University for 1semester and went to a junior college for 1 yr. I am going back at the end of this semester and I feel like this might of been a mistake. I also wanted to know if they calculate the GPA from your junior college at the end of your 4yrs. Another question was about the amount of time I spend in school, Im thinking about staying for 41/2 yrs, I wanted to know if this was to long. The reason I want to stay longer is so I can do a Dental Enrichment program at Baylor University in Dallas. I aslo wish to spend more time towards my classes so i can do well in them. What kind of GPA and DAT score do schools look for in Texas. Thanks and sorry for all the questions, Im stressed out!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It's going to be okay! you still have a long time to make your application stellar.

first of all, are you a TX resident? TX schools like that (every public state school prefers their own residents).

the avg gpa is about 3.3-3.4, avg DAT is between 18-19. For more indepth numbers, get the ADEA book on admission requirements (there is another thread about this).

4.5 years is not too long - if you want to graduate earlier than that, you could go to summer school.

lastly, the Baylor Enrichment program is in the summer - I'm not sure how this will influence the length of time you plan to stay in school.

you can email me if you have further questions - I am a TX resident and soon I'll be finished with interviewing at the TX schools. Don't stress out! it's still early. :)

ricegirl