Pre-dents: What dental school is like

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EHA DDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are entering another crazy phase this semester. We got 8-5 lecture/lab and at least 1 exam EVERY week from now till winter break. Lectures are sometimes brutal...2 hours of cell organelles this morning and 2 hours of tissues in the afternoon plus other lectures. Then we also have 3 hour labs twice a week PLUS going intot he lab during off hours to finish work. Plus, 3 hour conferences once a week.

To top it all off, when 5 PM hits, where do we all head? Library, to study until 8-11 depending on who you speak to. And the weekends are like 12-9 in the library.

Take home message: Dental school is a lot of work! I love what I am doing, but be prepared guys. Lots of information and they pile it fast.

Members don't see this ad.

EHA DDS,

I feel your pain. Dental school has ben a real challenge. We have been having lots of exams, in the past few weeks we've had 3-4 exams per week!!!
In reality, the material is not difficult...there is just LOTS OF IT!!!!
I'm really looking forward to Thanksgiving Break! :)

At least you guys still have time to come in here and post :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly, it's not the concepts, it's the amount. Like, it is not hard to understand that the mandibular canine has a longer crown that the maxillary or that G6Pase takes off P from G6P, but there is A LOT.

As for posting on SDN, it is definitely me procrastinating....

Hey!
SDN is my psychotherapy! :)
I get to come here and vent my frustrations about dental school :)

kokopelli said:
Hey!
I get to come here and vent my frustrations about dental school :)
It's still not too late to make the switch :laugh:

this is what fun i have to look forward to... :rolleyes:

EHA DDS said:
We are entering another crazy phase this semester. We got 8-5 lecture/lab and at least 1 exam EVERY week from now till winter break. Lectures are sometimes brutal...2 hours of cell organelles this morning and 2 hours of tissues in the afternoon plus other lectures. Then we also have 3 hour labs twice a week PLUS going intot he lab during off hours to finish work. Plus, 3 hour conferences once a week.

lol

I have 8:30-7:30 and 1-7:30 most days of the week, at least 1 exam a week, and over 10 hours of lab work/week. I don't expect dental school to be a cake-walk but I doubt it's much different from the amount of work I'm drowning in now.

Oh well, it's just school... nothing that hundreds of thousands of dentists haven't done before you.

Since you already took the board for the basic sciences what do you learn at AZ for the next year before the clinic is finished?

my theory is...
if it's THAT easy...are u REALLY learning?
i have no doubt in my mind that d-school is tough! but that's what i wanna do! :thumbup:

Yah dental school blows. Don't go... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Zurik5 said:
Yah dental school blows. Don't go... ;)

yea, go for something easier, ie med school.

Bickle said:
yea, go for something easier, ie med school.

Nursing school, that's where its at......

All things worth having and doing are worth all the hard work, and if it comes to easy for such a great thing then you probably won't value it as much. Meaning, us humans haven't been able to figure out the value of life without a little blood, sweat, and tears.

ItsGavinC said:
Unfortunately, our society equates tough=learning and easy=not learning or not worthwhile.

Yeah, one of my British Literature professors says the English Department doesn't respect him because he showed Revenge of the Nerds 3 in a "Writing for Film" class he was teaching.

Who says learning can't be fun sometimes?

ItsGavinC said:
Unfortunately, our society equates tough=learning and easy=not learning or not worthwhile.

The truth is what society believes is that most people aren't really paying attention if it is that easy and they don't want some one holding the drill over their teeth if it there wasn't some "rites of passage" to earn that respect.

Darksunshine said:
The truth is what society believes is that most people aren't really paying attention if it is that easy and they don't want some one holding the drill over their teeth if it there wasn't some "rites of passage" to earn that respect.

Well put. Actually, I think it is the INSTRUCTORS who mandate a "rite of passage" that must equal the torture they endured.

ItsGavinC said:
Well put. Actually, I think it is the INSTRUCTORS who mandate a "rite of passage" that must equal the torture they endured.

ROFL, good point Gavin. Do unto others as you have been done too. (LOL) :eek:

I know I changed that from the true saying: Do unto others as you would have done to yourself, but I believe that most people (esp. parents) tend to do what I said the first paragraph, and INSTRUCTORS are definelty guilty of passing on the "pain" of their learning experience to their students. :idea:

Zurik5 said:
Nursing school, that's where its at......

Hey, don't bag on nurses. OK so it was pretty easy but I was one of 3 straight guys with about 35 women in my class. It wasn't so bad.