pre-doc internship and GPA relevance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phipps

Post-Doctoral Fellow
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, just a quick question for those who have been there:

how important is my GPA in terms of competitiveness when applying to APA accr'd internship sites??

I just graduated with a MS and after I applied to and got accepted into a program, my GPA dropped a little. :-(

Thanks for your wisdom on that one.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know and was able to tell during my interviews, GPA was largely irrelevant. I would think the only time it could come into play would be if you failed multiple classes. Other than that, the only coursework-related questions I had (at all) were with respect to how much neuroanatomy I'd taken.

Admittedly, I'm an N of 1, but I review applications for a highly competitive research-oriented site, and I usually only give gpa a cursory glance. Unless there is something that really stands out, I don't usually use that info to make my judgment of the applicant!

Members don't see this ad :)
Admittedly, I'm an N of 1, but I review applications for a highly competitive research-oriented site, and I usually only give gpa a cursory glance. Unless there is something that really stands out, I don't usually use that info to make my judgment of the applicant!

Thanks, AcronymAllergy and LM02!

Both of you confirm what a person in the field told me. Sounds good. I was concerned b/c my overall GPA dropped insignificantly; I am not talking about anything standing out or any bad grades...

Thanks much. Now I feel better. It is a little odd to get final grades after graduating and then receiving a different GPA than the one I applied with to grad school :)

Ms. Phipps

Thanks, AcronymAllergy and LM02!

Both of you confirm what a person in the field told me. Sounds good. I was concerned b/c my overall GPA dropped insignificantly; I am not talking about anything standing out or any bad grades...

Thanks much. Now I feel better. It is a little odd to get final grades after graduating and then receiving a different GPA than the one I applied with to grad school :)

Ms. Phipps

No problem. To provide you some additional reassurance--as little as doctoral program GPA seems to matter in the whole internship application/interview process, I would imagine your master's program GPA matters even less.

No problem. To provide you some additional reassurance--as little as doctoral program GPA seems to matter in the whole internship application/interview process, I would imagine your master's program GPA matters even less.

Okay. Thanks :) ...and my MS GPA is not that low at all. I am pleased to hear/learn that the GPA (which can be arbitrary) gets lesser attention and more attention will be paid to other variables. All good. I look forward to the next step.

B = Ph.D. is commonly said in programs because classes are only a small portion of overall training. Obviously you don't want all Bs, but I'd think anyone with at least a 3.5 (More A's than B's) is fine. I reviewed apps for my internship site and I didn't really pay attention to GPA.

A bit confused (I'm sorry I don't know much about the clinical internship process) but do they look at your Bachelors and Masters GPA/transcripts (Masters not associated with your PhD program)? Thanks!

A bit confused (I'm sorry I don't know much about the clinical internship process) but do they look at your Bachelors and Masters GPA/transcripts (Masters not associated with your PhD program)? Thanks!

That's actually a good question to ask! Maybe, for pre-doc internship applications, they only look at transcripts from the doctoral program?? Do I have to submit transcripts form prior to my doc program??

From what I remember, most sites wanted transcripts from ALL graduate work, so if you had a past Master's that wasn't part of your current program, you had to submit those transcripts.

That's my recollection as well--you'll need to submit transcripts from prior graduate programs, but not from undergrad (unless specifically requested by the site).

That's my recollection as well--you'll need to submit transcripts from prior graduate programs, but not from undergrad (unless specifically requested by the site).

All right. Sounds good + makes sense. Thanks to both of you!

From what I remember, most sites wanted transcripts from ALL graduate work, so if you had a past Master's that wasn't part of your current program, you had to submit those transcripts.

Some sites also liked to ask for undergrad transcripts, though this may have changed since the APPI went online. There are still a few oddball sites that ask for different things, though most have conformed to the typical attachments for internship applications.

The weirdest thing I've been asked for during my interviews for internship/fellowship was a copy of my actual diploma. I had to decide if I wanted to take a picture of it or scan it (I scanned it...didn't exactly fit). It was for a Mayo fellowship, so I had to do it. :D

Some sites also liked to ask for undergrad transcripts, though this may have changed since the APPI went online. There are still a few oddball sites that ask for different things, though most have conformed to the typical attachments for internship applications.

One program I applied to this year requested my undergraduate transcript. It's certainly a rarity in my experience, but it's possible.

i think that it's not a big deal....i never had a 4.0 in my doctoral program, even though i did in my MA studies.

IMHO Essays are key! so take your time and revise those many times.

4-5 APA internship sites asked for a copy of my undergraduate transcript. As things become more competitive, they are constantly looking for ways to eliminate applicants.

My graduate GPA is a 4.0 due to generous grade inflation. Nobody mentioned my transcripts or course work during my interviews. I didn't get the impression that it was very important.