Pre-DPT thinking about switching to PA

Started by ljafri14
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

This isnt answering your question but when I shadowed I had alot of PTs ask me what other careers am I considering and a couple of them mentioned PA and one of them said if he could start over that is what he would do! So I started researching about it but I am still leaning towards PT.

Are you for sure going for the PA instead then?
 
You'd probably be best to ask this in the PA forums, because I honestly have not a clue about the admissions process.

If you are are trying to choose between the two, do your research on both professions thoroughly, do lots of shadowing with both and then, as cheesy as it sounds, make a pros/cons list to see which is better for YOU! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
it depends on the program, but Northwestern's lets you count PT experience (it even explicitly says so on their program website).

If you know what schools you want to apply to, go to their website and see what it says. If it doesn't specify, email the contact person for the program and ask. They should be more than happy to answer 🙂
 
I'm considering this move as well. It's a little too soon to decide since I haven't done any shadows with PAs yet. But it's also unnerving to admit to a possibly different goal... PT has been my story for so long as I get pre-reqs out of the way. I've been researching a lot, have gone to the PA info session, and am picking everyone's brains at work (I'm a PT aide in inpatient ortho & acute care). I need to decide soon, as I can apply to PT school this year.