Pre-Interview Invite Update as Legacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Okazaki Frag Grenade

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some advice please!

I am a legacy (grandfather graduated with MD ... is that still legacy?) from a school. This was the only school I applied to that did not ask for legacy/relatives on their secondary. I'm assuming it would be stupid to send a pre-II letter/email of interest as a legacy to emphasize this? Or could this possibly help? My scores are just below their medians. I know pre-II updates can be frowned upon, especially this early. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If they didn't ask, they probably don't care.

All the schools that I would have "legacy" to don't give a crab about it.

Reactions: 1 user
was there a miscellaneous or "any additional info" on the secondary? That's where you should have noted it. sending an update now on that would have little impact and could be seen as a bit desperate

Yeah I thought it might look like this. There were no additional info questions that I can recall. They had two prompts, but both were fairly specific topic-wise. I'll just let it be for now. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
If they didn't ask, they probably don't care.

All the schools that I would have "legacy" to don't give a crab about it.

Good to know! I had also thought that they might not care since they didn't ask it

They're not going to give a rat's ass.

Need some advice please!

I am a legacy (grandfather graduated with MD ... is that still legacy?) from a school. This was the only school I applied to that did not ask for legacy/relatives on their secondary. I'm assuming it would be stupid to send a pre-II letter/email of interest as a legacy to emphasize this? Or could this possibly help? My scores are just below their medians. I know pre-II updates can be frowned upon, especially this early. Thoughts?

Legacies, as we think of them in Admissions, are the kids or friends of deans, faculty, or donors. Some schools also have their own special criteria for this group, like Orthodox Jews for the Touros. Another example might be a spouse or SO of a highly sought after prospect.

Being the children of alumni doesn't get one all that far anymore, at least at the med school level. Still plays havoc at the UG level though.

Lol good to know. When people refer to legacy, then, what are they talking about? I'm curious now.

Lol good to know. When people refer to legacy, then, what are they talking about? I'm curious now.

Adcoms tend to smile upon alumni donations if that's what you are asking.

Reactions: 1 user
At our school, these lead to a polite interview, which is followed by a polite spot on the wait list, which in turn, later on, is followed by an even more polite rejection.

And well-know and well-off prominent doctors, who are active alumni supporters of a school, can still get a little influence. But the days of calling up a favor to get your kid an interview are all but gone, though the calls and letters still come in trying to do just that. Dealing with an important doctor who now maybe a senior executive in a large hospital associated with the school or those with family names that grace wings and pavilions of the medical center need to be handled with finesse.