Pre-match for 2005? Rumors, anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BellKicker

Twisted Miler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether the pre-match will stay for the 2005 match? I believe it was postponed indefinitely before the 2004 season but the NRMP might bring back the ban for 2005, I guess.

Also, I'm always on the fence about pre-matches. I've heard them described as "the only advantage to IMGs" but the way I see it, IMGs will land inferior residencies with or without pre-mathces (which is perfectly logical and the same in other countries, btw). It's certainly an advantage to PDs, if for no one else.

Thoughts?.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what they decide, but I doubt that they will be able to ban pre-matches for independent applicants, while the lawsuit (www.residentcase.com) alleging antitrust violations is active.

I think that from a practical point of view, it would be legally indefensible. After all, how can you ban pre-matches (e.g. contracts signed outside the match) while you are being sued for your monopolistic behavior? If they went ahead and banned it, they would give the case to the residents.

I am of the opinion that the NRMP monopoly should be broken up. It only serves the interests of the US students and even that very poorly.

Miklos

Good point about the law suit, Miklos. Could be that's why they didn't ban them this year, too.

No one heard or read anything sepcific about 2005, then? I guess that makes it quite likely that pre-matches will stay another year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, that IS interesting. Although probably at this point no actual contract has been signed.

Th pre-match is alive and well. It will not go away because some programs count on picking up housestaff outside of the match to fill their programs. Many of the residents picked-up this way are very qualified. They have passed all of their steps and have additional clinical experience. No employer wants a disgruntled employee. Applicants traditionally use some programs as back-ups. I would prefer a highly motivated employee to one who ends up at my door because a few programs "mislead" him/her. Also, smaller programs can save time and money if they select applicants through the pre-match. The pre-match process is more controlled than the rumble tumble known as the scramble.

CambieMD