Pre-med After Assault

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PatchMed

Reaction score
Asked 3 hours ago by Guest (120 points)

Pre-med After Assault

Hello All, I could really use some advice. My pre-med journey has had a number of ups and downs. I’m going to try and summarize that journey below. Any advice on options for the future, specifically advice on getting into medical school, would be much appreciated.

I was homeschooled pre-school - high school.

I attended community college (as a transition into “real school”).
Completed A.A. Degree
3.93 GPA (All A’s except for one B in precal/trig.)

I was assaulted the summer before moving away from home and attending university. The abuse continued for a year. During this time, I was still taking classes. My grades reflected the abuse.

In the spring of 2016, I was diagnosed with PTSD. I started a counseling program which I was in for a year. The program was emotionally and mentally draining. My grades continued to suffer over the year, though gradually improved.

I am in a much better place with my health, though I don’t think I would want to enter medical school for at least 2-years (even IF I could get in), because I think I need that continued time to heal.

Academics
At this point, I am a year away from having a Bachelor’s in Biomedical Sciences.
cGPA is 3.63
I have 6 withdrawals over the last 4-years

Volunteering (Non-clinical)
200+ hours in special education classrooms

Volunteering (Clinical)
100+ hours as emergency room volunteer / trainer

Leadership
Teaching Assistant in Microbiology Lab for over a year
Vice President of a charity based, university club for a year

Research
A year working on a proposal for new program/curriculum at my university

Shadowing
16 hours at a teaching hospital

I haven’t taken the MCAT yet.

Given that my grades haven’t been consistent, I don’t know that my application would be strong enough to be accepted. I’m not sure if it also has an affect on how the other areas of my application (volunteering, shadowing, ect) are viewed.

The weakest areas of my application, as far as I can tell, are my number of shadowing hours, and my short academic upward trend.

What do you think? Would a master’s degree program be a good option?

Thank you to all who took the time to read this!

Members don't see this ad.

3.6 isnt bad

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your pattern of W’s is highly concerning, more so because it extends into your super senior year (ie.: very recently). This shows you have difficulty handling a rigorous schedule and you still haven’t learned to deal with it.

Also, the research that you listed isn’t really considered research in the traditional AMCAS/application sense. Is there a testable hypothesis?

Your pattern of W’s is highly concerning, more so because it extends into your super senior year (ie.: very recently). This shows you have difficulty handling a rigorous schedule and you still haven’t learned to deal with it.

Also, the research that you listed isn’t really considered research in the traditional AMCAS/application sense. Is there a testable hypothesis?
you gotta consider op circumstances though. Even with abuse he maintained a decent GPA. Yes he/she has withdraws but if op explains why they should be fine

Asked 3 hours ago by Guest (120 points)

Pre-med After Assault

Hello All, I could really use some advice. My pre-med journey has had a number of ups and downs. I’m going to try and summarize that journey below. Any advice on options for the future, specifically advice on getting into medical school, would be much appreciated.

I was homeschooled pre-school - high school.

I attended community college (as a transition into “real school”).
Completed A.A. Degree
3.93 GPA (All A’s except for one B in precal/trig.)

I was assaulted the summer before moving away from home and attending university. The abuse continued for a year. During this time, I was still taking classes. My grades reflected the abuse.

In the spring of 2016, I was diagnosed with PTSD. I started a counseling program which I was in for a year. The program was emotionally and mentally draining. My grades continued to suffer over the year, though gradually improved.

I am in a much better place with my health, though I don’t think I would want to enter medical school for at least 2-years (even IF I could get in), because I think I need that continued time to heal.

Academics
At this point, I am a year away from having a Bachelor’s in Biomedical Sciences.
cGPA is 3.63
I have 6 withdrawals over the last 4-years

Volunteering (Non-clinical)
200+ hours in special education classrooms

Volunteering (Clinical)
100+ hours as emergency room volunteer / trainer

Leadership
Teaching Assistant in Microbiology Lab for over a year
Vice President of a charity based, university club for a year

Research
A year working on a proposal for new program/curriculum at my university

Shadowing
16 hours at a teaching hospital

I haven’t taken the MCAT yet.

Given that my grades haven’t been consistent, I don’t know that my application would be strong enough to be accepted. I’m not sure if it also has an affect on how the other areas of my application (volunteering, shadowing, ect) are viewed.

The weakest areas of my application, as far as I can tell, are my number of shadowing hours, and my short academic upward trend.

What do you think? Would a master’s degree program be a good option?

Thank you to all who took the time to read this!
Very sorry to hear of your woes. A 3.6 GPA can get you into Yale. Get in some more shadowing, and more clinical volunteering.

you gotta consider op circumstances though. Even with abuse he maintained a decent GPA. Yes he/she has withdraws but if op explains why they should be fine
I did. IMO timeline still doesn't look too pretty.

Assaulted in 2014-2015. Diagnosed with PTSD in spring 2016. 2 years later in spring of 2018, 2 Ws. Look at the last 3 semesters, the only As came in directed research. "Hard" sciences all Bs (endocrinology, sim physio, anatomy).

Yes, but with an explanation of their circumstances and all those W’s or declining grades an adcom could easily question if they’re ready for medical school. Med school can easily break healthy students. I thought my depression was in check...then comes med school and i struggled a lot and cracked under pressure.

Basically, sustained academic excellence is a great way to prove you’ve moved past it all.

Thank you for your reply! I am posting my course history so people have a better idea about the ups and downs.
Probably want to delete the courses you have taken thus far to maintain anonymity.

Thank you all for your replies. I went ahead and delete my course history for anonymity. I'm leaning strongly towards a 2-year master's program. It will allow me more time to heal and to demonstrate that I can handle the coursework. It will also give me more time for shadowing and research. Truly, I appreciate all your help.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users