Pre-Med Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hansen44

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering does anyone know what medical schools require as far as organic chemistry lab? I know they require one year of lecture of o-chem, but is 1 of the two labs enough, or is 2 required? Does anyone have any idea who knows for a fact, because I know random websites on the web say one year of lab....but I talked to UCLA medical school admissions and they said 1 lab is fine, is that how it is for other med schools as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools allow you to apply without the lab done, as long as it is completed before matriculation. The AMCAS requirements state one year with lab. Check with all the schools you will be applying to if you don't plan on taking it.

As far as I remember, the school usually require as much OChem lab as they do OChem lecture.

My advice, as poor as it may be, is to take both if you can.Even if the school only wants one semester, doing two won't hurt. It will only make you more competitive, and if you do well, especially so