Pre-Med Community College Question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoyomed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Pre-Med about to transfer to a UC from CC. I am skeptical about the Med-school pre-reqs...

So this is how it's going so far for me.. And I need couple questions answered.

I have completed my 1 year of English composition at my CC. (Took ENG 1A, B , and C.)

1) For the math requirement is it okay if I take 1 semester of statistics and 1 semester of calculus to make a 1 year of math requirement complete. (My CC is a semester system).

2) at my CC I have taken 1 general Biology course and 1 general Chemistry course. I am planning to take all my pre-med sciences at UC after transfer, but those were my major pre-reqs which forced me to go through them. Does Medical school count those credits? So when I transfer I only have to take two more general Bio/chem courses instead of 3 ?? to make it 1 year ( Based on UC quarter system. 3 courses/1 each Quarter = 1 year) or I need to start the 1 year of general bio from scratch at UC?

P.S. CC bio and chem are both 4 units which I read as a each pre-req minimum for Med school.

Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

You have to look up specific schools to see what their pre-reqs are. Some want stats only, others don't care about math, some count CC courses, etc. etc. Start with schools in your state.

1) For the math requirement is it okay if I take 1 semester of statistics and 1 semester of calculus to make a 1 year of math requirement complete. (My CC is a semester system).

This is highly school-dependent, as the previous commentor said. The math requirements (as with all other requirements) are usually listed in schools' admissions pages.

2) at my CC I have taken 1 general Biology course and 1 general Chemistry course. I am planning to take all my pre-med sciences at UC after transfer, but those were my major pre-reqs which forced me to go through them. Does Medical school count those credits? So when I transfer I only have to take two more general Bio/chem courses instead of 3 ?? to make it 1 year ( Based on UC quarter system. 3 courses/1 each Quarter = 1 year) or I need to start the 1 year of general bio from scratch at UC?

Medical schools will count those credits. But again, whether they want them done (or redone) at your UC is school-dependent. You can buy access to the MSAR and for each school it'll show whether they care about CC pre-req classes. Under the Required/Recommended Coursework section they have checkmarks and a column for CC classes: green means the school accepts CC credit for them, orange means CC courses are accepted on a case-by-case basis, and red means not accepted. I made sure to check that section for each school I was interested in, and the MSAR actually lists each individual course requirement/recommendation so you see if schools are fine with all pre-reqs from a CC, or just some.

I don't think you have to start over for the series of courses you started at your CC, but to double-check, ask your adviser.

Congrats on transferring! I went to a California CC and transferred elsewhere, but I am very familiar with the UC transfer process and what it entails for the med school application process. If you have more questions feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank You for your feedback!

I will check on the schools I am aiming to get into. Otherwise, for now I decided to take 1 semester of calculus (Already done 1 stats) so I take the math requirement off my shoulders now at CC. After transferring that way it will be better to focus on my Pre-Medical and major courses.

Reactions: 1 user
CellPowerhouse:

Sorry I am new to this site, I do not know how to PM you. But I also have a question regarding Upper level Biology at 4 year University...

My major is B.S. in Psychology. Isn't upper division biology is open only to bio majors/minors? How come I hear in the Pre-Med community that its a PLUS if you take an upper div. bio class?

How can I arrange my prerequisites? My plan so far is....

Junior Year: Quarter 1: Gen. Chem + Gen Bio + Major course + Major course. Note: I may not have to take all 3 quarters of Gen chem and bio, as I took one
Quarter 2: Gen Chem + Gen Bio+ Major course + Major course. of each already at community college so Idk about that yet...
Quarter 3: Gen Chem + Gen Bio + Major course + Major course.

Summer: Biochemistry course, Take MCAT + Research etc...

Senior Year: Q1: O chem + Physics + Major +Major.
Q2: O chem + Physics + Major +Major.
Q3: O chem + Physics + Major +Major

Is that a normal Pre Med plan or what you think about it?

Thanks!

I also went to a CC and transferred to a UC. I did all of my prereqs at the CC except for physics. It's fine. It didn't hurt me, and no one ever asked about it.

Virtually every med school accepts CC credits these days.

CellPowerhouse:

Sorry I am new to this site, I do not know how to PM you. But I also have a question regarding Upper level Biology at 4 year University...

My major is B.S. in Psychology. Isn't upper division biology is open only to bio majors/minors? How come I hear in the Pre-Med community that its a PLUS if you take an upper div. bio class?

How can I arrange my prerequisites? My plan so far is....

Junior Year: Quarter 1: Gen. Chem + Gen Bio + Major course + Major course. Note: I may not have to take all 3 quarters of Gen chem and bio, as I took one
Quarter 2: Gen Chem + Gen Bio+ Major course + Major course. of each already at community college so Idk about that yet...
Quarter 3: Gen Chem + Gen Bio + Major course + Major course.

Summer: Biochemistry course, Take MCAT + Research etc...

Senior Year: Q1: O chem + Physics + Major +Major.
Q2: O chem + Physics + Major +Major.
Q3: O chem + Physics + Major +Major

Is that a normal Pre Med plan or what you think about it?

Thanks!
This looks like a good plan HOWEVER really think about whether you want to take the MCAT before having physics and orgo done. I took the old MCAT so I don't know if it's feasible to take the new one without having taken physics and orgo - anyone with more experience with that, feel free to chime in - but I personally would not fee confident taking an exam that has physics and orgo if I haven't taken those classes yet. I understand wanting to take it before senior year so you wouldn't have to take a gap year, but I advise considering taking the MCAT after you've finished at least physics I and orgo I and taking a gap year, so when you apply med schools will see two full years of university credits and grades.

As far as upper div Bio classes go, yeah most will probably be restricted to Bio majors/minors. This is also school-dependent; you should look into schools' policies on registering for said classes when you're not in the major. Some open Bio classes up for anyone after a certain time frame, etc. You could just pick up a Bio minor to work around the restrictions.

If you're in California, go to the pre-med conference in Oct in Davis!
They have workshops for community college students, you'll learn a ton there :)

Got it! Thank You guys!

As for MCAT, I am still thinking about it. Either I will teach myself physics and orgo through study guides and books. Or take physics ochem before senior year.