Pre-Med Documentary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

once

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has there ever been a pre-med documentary made?

If there hasn't, that'd be an awesome thing to make; one that details the hardships that us pre-meds have to face on a daily basis.

Members don't see this ad.

If there hasn't, that'd be an awesome thing to make; one that details the hardships that us pre-meds have to face on a daily basis.
:lol:

... and the purpose of said documentary would be?

- To glorify the trials and tribulations overcome by us academic war heroes
- To deter the faint of heart from embarking on this near-impossible odyssey that is pre-med
- To share with one's children twenty years from now while narrating 'I had to walk uphill both ways to the library on Saturdays for my MCAT prep'
:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)

- To deter the faint of heart from embarking on this near-impossible odyssey that is pre-med
- To share with one's children twenty years from now while narrating 'I had to walk uphill both ways to the library on Saturdays for my MCAT prep'
My favorite :laugh:

Always gets me. :thumbup:

I doubt a lot of people would watch a pre-med documentary. Most of it would be a person sitting there, reading a textbook.

+1 to every response in this thread.

The proposed documentary would be the most terriblest thing to hit the screens...evur.

Most pre-meds lead privileged lives. What do you mean by their 'daily hardships'? I don't think most people who deal with real problems would have much sympathy or feel much connection to the pre-med who is just so stressed over their upcoming orgo and physic exams, because if they don't do well they will never get into Harvard. If anything the documentary would be more of a comedy.

[YOUTUBE]5hfYJsQAhl0[/YOUTUBE]

:rolleyes:

and:

What ****ing hardships? Yes, getting into medical school is hard, but you don't make a documentary out of that. Holy self-aggrandizement.

I walk downhill both ways to my school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure M.Night Shyamalan would be a great director for this documentary.. now we just need to get Oprah to narrate.

I'm sure M.Night Shyamalan would be a great director for this documentary.. now we just need to get Oprah to narrate.

Oh :(. I kinda had my heart set on Michael Moore

MichaelMooreSicko.jpg

Serious thought:

If you guys have Netflix (which you should all have) go check out "Doctors' Diaries" documentary (which you can watch instantly). It takes a look at 7 Harvard Medical Students lives through the years of medical school, to residency and finally how they feel like their jobs ended up. It is really interesting and honestly puts into perspective how hard rotations can be. It seems like the people who went through towards the life of high paying specialties ended up MUCH happier then the two others. If you guys end up seeing it please PM me and let me know what you thought of the documentary...or start a new thread w/e.

Last edited:
Serious thought:

If you guys have Netflix (which you should all have) go check out "Doctor's Diaries" documentary (which you can watch instantly). It takes a look at 4 Harvard Medical Students lives through the years of medical school, to residency and finally how they feel like their jobs ended up. It is really interesting and honestly puts into perspective how hard rotations can be. It seems like the people who went through towards the life of high paying specialties ended up MUCH happier then the two others. If you guys end up seeing it please PM me and let me know what you thought of the documentary...or start a new thread w/e.

Seen it twice. Feel good movie of the year.

:::SPOILER:::
EM guy: divorced.
Opth guy: divorced.
Psych guy: divorced.
Peds URM: left medicine.
Other lady that I forget what she specialized in: jaded.

Did the anesthesiologist live happily ever after?

Last edited:
In all seriousness... this actually could make for an interesting film

Take for example the Documentary "Spellbound." It follows a few kids through a spelling bee... you can't get more lame than that, but I got a kick out of it (and so did the international documentary association who voted it to be a 'top 5' film)

To make this work, you just need the right players

1) White guy who is in it for the money/power/prestige that comes along with an MD (the one we hate)
2) Asian girl being forced to do it by her parents (the stereotype)
3) A bad student but rides on the coattails of their URM status (The race card)
4) a genuinely caring individual that has academic troubles despite their effort (the underdog)

As for the content, you can really turn anything into entertainment
-First research position
-Overreacting to an A-
-Misshaps on the volunteer trail
-The whole interview process
-Receiving calls/letters of rejection denial
(not sure how to fit in a climax though)

As long as you get the viewer 'invested' in the characters, they will be entertained by what happens to them, even if it is mundane

In all seriousness... this actually could make for an interesting film

Take for example the Documentary "Spellbound." It follows a few kids through a spelling bee... you can't get more lame than that, but I got a kick out of it (and so did the international documentary association who voted it to be a 'top 5' film)

To make this work, you just need the right players

1) White guy who is in it for the money/power/prestige that comes along with an MD (the one we hate)
2) Asian girl being forced to do it by her parents (the stereotype)
3) A bad student but rides on the coattails of their URM status (The race card)
4) a genuinely caring individual that has academic troubles despite their effort (the underdog)

As for the content, you can really turn anything into entertainment
-First research position
-Overreacting to an A-
-Misshaps on the volunteer trail
-The whole interview process
-Receiving calls/letters of rejection denial
(not sure how to fit in a climax though)

The climax is obviously when they jump off the empire state building after failing to match derm at harvard. Then, as the camera pans across the scattered body parts of our deceased star-crossed hero, the screen fades to black, the roar of the crowd dims, and all your hear is someone shout "STEP BACK, I CAN HELP THIS MAN. I'M PREMED!"

roll credits.

Serious thought:

If you guys have Netflix (which you should all have) go check out "Doctor's Diaries" documentary (which you can watch instantly). It takes a look at 4 Harvard Medical Students lives through the years of medical school, to residency and finally how they feel like their jobs ended up. It is really interesting and honestly puts into perspective how hard rotations can be. It seems like the people who went through towards the life of high paying specialties ended up MUCH happier then the two others. If you guys end up seeing it please PM me and let me know what you thought of the documentary...or start a new thread w/e.

Definitely going to watch this after finals :thumbup:

And since I'm not sure how to multiquote on my phone, thanks to aSagacious for the link, and boo to Frazier for the spoilers :laugh:

Serious thought:

Added it to my instant queue! Will hopefully be able to watch it soon

I really enjoyed watching Doctor Diaries. The psychiatrist looked like Doogie Howser.

I think a pre-med documentary would be very interesting.

Serious thought:

Wow, thanks for the recommendation! I only saw the first 10 minutes of it because I don't have time right now, but I'll be sure to finish it soon!

The psychiatrist looked like Doogie Howser.
Exactly what I was thinking! Sounds a lot like NPH, too!

That ER doc really let himself go.

Seriously....It was painful to see the transition between what he started off as and what he has become. At least he says that he loved doing EM and wouldn't change it for anything. That dude had like 4 wives....

A pre-med documentary would be super boring. We don't do anything but study, try to join every volunteer activity out there, try to become a leader in various clubs, do undergrad research and complain about how we're stressed out and don't have time for anything. We are a privileged group to be in college in the first place and most pre-meds are VERY privileged...having parents as physicians, no financial worries, school comes easy..etc. Some of us may not face many "hardships" at all. My only hardships over the pre-med years were just finding a general lack of time to study and do the other things I wanted to do and the stress associated with trying to do well in school. That's it. But that is just my life.

Here's how most pre-meds look, not flattering I'd say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhLgtTMTklQ

And:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPuRKgKRTH0

"Doctor's Diaries" is a great movie by the way! Watched it shortly after I signed up for Netflix. Also, I highly suggest watching "The Doctor" starring William Hurt (1991). Also, read "Doctors" by Erich Segal (1988). It's a great book and I had a hard time putting it down at night.

The climax is obviously when they jump off the empire state building after failing to match derm at harvard. Then, as the camera pans across the scattered body parts of our deceased star-crossed hero, the screen fades to black, the roar of the crowd dims, and all your hear is someone shout "STEP BACK, I CAN HELP THIS MAN. I'M PREMED!"

roll credits.

hahaha

Darn it jtd... now I'm hooked on those videos. There have to be at least a few hundred. So much for trying to study pharm.

They're hilarious aren't they! The law school one is awesome too.

one that details the hardships that us pre-meds have to face on a daily basis.

OP you are a friggin undergrad. I hope you understand that this is going to be the easiest your life will ever be. Lol, I'd like to see a documentary of you as a doctor, if you think that being a pre-med is a hardship.

I think that just might beat having her:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0[/YOUTUBE]

STAR in this:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRm01IruyWA[/YOUTUBE]

+∞

I just died laughing, thank you. It seems very true. The best part was "I want to be a pediatric neurosurgeon". I've met so many high school students my age and below who are like "I want to be an adolescent anesthesiologist for under-served children aged fourteen to fourteen and a half."

I think that just might beat having her:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0[/YOUTUBE]

I raise you one video:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DwT_2QQU64[/YOUTUBE]

I raise you one video:

[YOUTUBE]7DwT_2QQU64[/YOUTUBE]

I match your 1 awful video and raise you raise one more d*mn-awful video:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyHzTBiz6zs[/YOUTUBE]

I match your 1 awful video and raise you raise one more d*mn-awful video:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyHzTBiz6zs[/YOUTUBE]

I match your bad parody, with a good mind-**** of a mix.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BLPrPa45gU&feature=fvst[/YOUTUBE]

A pre-med documentary would be super boring. We don't do anything but study, try to join every volunteer activity out there, try to become a leader in various clubs, do undergrad research and complain about how we're stressed out and don't have time for anything. We are a privileged group to be in college in the first place and most pre-meds are VERY privileged...having parents as physicians, no financial worries, school comes easy..etc. Some of us may not face many "hardships" at all. My only hardships over the pre-med years were just finding a general lack of time to study and do the other things I wanted to do and the stress associated with trying to do well in school. That's it. But that is just my life.

And:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPuRKgKRTH0

"Doctor's Diaries" is a great movie by the way! Watched it shortly after I signed up for Netflix. Also, I highly suggest watching "The Doctor" starring William Hurt (1991). Also, read "Doctors" by Erich Segal (1988). It's a great book and I had a hard time putting it down at night.

That first one was possibly the most beautiful thing I have ever experienced. It was like someone condensed SDN into a liquid form and injected it into my retinal arteries.

Once, in ten years when you turn veinteiuno please come to nyc so that I may buy you a drink.

That first one was possibly the most beautiful thing I have ever experienced. It was like someone condensed SDN into a liquid form and injected it into my retinal arteries.

I really want to be a doctor. I promise I'll study harder in med school. It's not my fault that all my teachers hate me also I'm brilliant compared to everyone else.

Once, in ten years when you turn veinteiuno please come to nyc so that I may buy you a drink.

Nope, just three years to go. Why would you think I was 11?