pre-med, going into junior year & need help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apearl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I always knew I wanted to be a doctor and definitely knew medical school was very competitive to get in to but besides doing good on my school work I didn't realize the amount of extra curriculars that were needed. I just recently started reading up online and now I'm freaking out.

All I have are bout 50 volunteer hours and I read somewhere that usually the minimum is 500! This coming fall semester (it will be my junior year) I am going to try and get more and I am also going to be the vice president of the pre-health honor society at our school. But 500 hours? I don't know if that will be possible in one year since I am planning to apply june before my senior year. So should I be worried? Also if anyone has any advice, please helpp! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

no never worry. You are fine, heck I only have 30 hours and I am a senior applying to medical school next summer. So I would just say try to continue to volunteer as much as possible, 500 hours is a bit on the high end. maybe around 100-150 is sufficient enough. But again it's not about quantity all about that quality. Good luck

no never worry. You are fine, heck I only have 30 hours and I am a senior applying to medical school next summer. So I would just say try to continue to volunteer as much as possible, 500 hours is a bit on the high end. maybe around 100-150 is sufficient enough. But again it's not about quantity all about that quality. Good luck
yea, quality and diversity in experiences would be best. 500 is way more than necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks, your right! But that is one of my problems too... The only volunteering I actually have is at a community health clinic. I mean its great what they do but all I've done is worked at the front desk filing papers and making appts.. It seems that every other volunteer opportunity I try for has training sessions that are all on days that I have class. Any suggestions? Is it worth skipping class a couple days? I really don't know what else to do! I want to get real experience and have something substantial under my belt..

Try volunteering through a hospice or nursing home. As well look into a free clinic.

I am sure you can work around your schedule to fit in time to go do an orientation at on of these places.

if you cant fit it into your semesters, volunteer a lot during breaks (including summer you submit your applications).

I agree that 150 hours or so seems the average amount of clinical experience/community service that people list on their application. I think that as long as you're interacting with patients at the front desk or talking to them on the phone between the filing, what you're doing now is fine. See if maybe they'll let you learn to take vital signs or do some basic history taking eventually. Use the contacts you have there to arrange some physician shadowing, as that is another expected activity for you to have on your application.