Pre Med issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCDocWannabe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
During my first semester in collegeI was sexually assualted by fellow student, My older brother was killed in a car accident, and I was diagnosed with testicular cancer. (I am now Cancer Free thank god!!!) I'm still wondering what a guy has to do to have that kind of semester? Anyway, my grades took a huge hit. I essentially failed my first year. I have since taken a semester off and enrolled in a CC for this coming semester. I will hopefully transfer out this summer to NC State due to my AP credits. My questions are how do I explain this to med school adcoms and essentially are my chances for medical school admissions shot? I know that I am a capable student and I think with an amazing mcat, interview and personal statement a few top 20 schools may not be out of question. I just need insight on the CC issue, and explaining me leaving the school I was at. Which was a prestigious LAC in PA.

any input will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it sounds like you're a smart guy, so as long as you work to get good grades to make up for a poor GPA first semester, it won't be a big of a problem. Mainly, I would just be honest with them. The events were a changing point in your life where you could have thrown in the towel or continued to work through everything. Congratulations on being Cancer free by the way bud, I know it's rough. I'll keep you in my prayers if that helps.

I think when you try to explain this it's important to remember you don't have to share anything that you're uncomfortable sharing. You can leave things out or be vague, and don't put it in a personal statement unless you think you can talk about it in an interview.

I've had interviews where I've had to say "That's a personal question. I don't feel comfortable answering that." The interviewer actually apologized because they realized it was inappropriate. They respected me more for my response.

Members don't see this ad :)
<p>Thank you for your kind words. I'm just really stressed about it all and I hope that I'm not penalized for circumstances beyond my control by adcoms</p>

Work hard and you will be fine. I had below a 2.0 after my first 3 semesters. This is with some withdrawals. My only excuse was that I was immature, but I turned myself around and was accepted. With everything you went through no ADCOM should hold your grades during that period against you.

Thank you guys so much for your input. Like I originally stated, I must have really ****ed someone off to have had all this happen at one time. I am just thankful now to be completely healthy, and working to deal with some of the emotional issues that have resulted. I refuse to let the reprehinsible actions of others deter me from my dreams. I just hope that adcoms realize that I'm doing the best I can to not throw in the towel. If that means me enrolling at a CC and then a second tier public, I'm making the best of it.

So again thank you guys for your kind words and counsel.

You won't be the first person to make it to medical school after bombing freshman year. And you have better reasons than most, to boot.

agreed.

Just work hard and get through your issues. Also, don't be afraid to seek help if you need it. You've been through more than most and that must be difficult to deal with at times.

You'll be able to overcome this.

Honestly, going to a CC and then tranfering to Any university is Not looked down upon and given what you have been through any Adcom who could not sympathize with your situation has some serious issues.

As long as you explain what happened in your personal statement and then explain it at interviews nobody should hold it against you.

Its hard enough going through all the B.S hoops they make us jump through, when you add anymore stress to the equation its understandable that it becomes near impossible to juggle everything successfully