Pre-med/nursing

Okkaoboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Im a new member, junior in highschool, getting copius amounts of college letters and starting to attempt to decide what I want to do with my future. First of all a few words about myself, Im a people person, I enjoy talking (sometimes a gift...sometimes not so much), I have the ability to cheer people up and make sence of anything (my advisor told me to become a lawyer since I was so full of...mierda lets say. I am good with numbers and I love science and am currently planning on trippling up in sciences next year (AP Bio, AP Chem and physics) I was gonig to take Honors bio technology but couldnt fit it in my schedule.:( Anyway, as you can most likely tell I am a fan of science, and I have some abilities in math. I can write quite well (not so much on this since it is bibliographical and the "proper way" of writing is so engrained into me that it is difficult to write in the first person. Anyway to the question at hand. I decided from a young age medicine is a good option for me, and the field to which I should go into has become somewhat of a connundrum for me. My father believes that nursing is the field for me (he has this beleif that I am incompatently lazy, which while slightly true, I dont beleive that should restrict my career choices since I still receive honors grades and rise to challenges since I dont like anything below a B and I beleive that a persons life is something worth working hard for while lets say... spanish is not). But I want something with a more leadership role, and combining my love of science with medicine I came out with the idea of Anethesiology. I know I would lose patient time, but I could deal with that. Honestly I want to keep my options open for the future. So I was wondering whether or not it is feasible or possible to be a nursing major but at the same time be considered a pre-med applicant with all necessary attributes that would allow for a succesful future in Medical school. Sorry for this long drawn out question that could have been asked in a quick sentence but I've always thought details were important. And if it is possible, what fields besides Anethesiology would you reccomend?

Thank you for any and all help

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wheeewwww man, they're called "paragraphs".

Anyways, the canned response to these kinds of threads is that you'll probably change your mind a million times during med school before choosing what you want to match into. In other words, focus more on getting into med school in the first place for now :luck:.

Canned response #2: Nursing shortage = declining applicants who majored in Nursing so they'll go be nurses.

Also, just your one post reminds me a little too much of someone I know in real life. Mind telling me your first name, or what state you live in, or something?

I would suggest you to do a bachelor of science degree first. When you are more mature in college, you will have a better idea of what you want to do.

Good luck !

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea my apologies, but my question hasn't been answered, is it possible? I understand the decline in nursing applicants and it would be a good carreer choice but I don't want to restrict myself to nursing and offshoots of nursing degrees. Hence why I want to do both, if not Ill double major in nursing and chemistry anyway and try to become a CRNA but I would like to keep the med-school door open. And the bachelor of science is a good idea if I had the money, which frankly I dont

And Kaolin, Rhode Island Yanor, But I doubt you know me lol

Hello Okkaoboy,

Firstly, I would like to ask you why you are so interested in nursing? Remember nurse's have more of a technical education and are supposed to provide bedside care. Since you are an excelling science student, I see a bit of a philosophical gap between you and nursing.

Honestly, it is very difficult to be a nursing and a pre-med major. Firstly, most nurses that apply to med school have bee nurses for a decent amount of time, "non traditional applicants" and want to go back to school. I don't really see the point of accepting a nursing major into medical school. Perhaps you could be a biology major, and if you don't get into, finish you BSN? (and have 2 degrees?)

From the CRNA idea, I believe you are looking for medicine within nursing. Remember, they are two different professions. I would recommend looking into becoming a PA (Physician's Assistant), which would also be 3-4 years long, and a BS program. It serves as an alternative to medicine, but it kind of shuts your doors to medical school. PAs can become AAs (Anesthesiology Assistants), a PA sub specialty, and a CRNA counterpart.

Anyway, you are in a bit of a dilemma. I sugesst getting a BS in biology, applying to Medical School, and if you get rejected: research Physician Assisting, Podiatry, Optometry, Clinical Psychology, Audiology, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Pharmacy.

Remember there is a lot more out there besides nursing and medicine!

Best of Luck!

Thank you very much, that seems like a good idea. I've been looking into all of those to be honest. AA is a good option besides the lack of credibility as of now (something like 5 colleges?) And well to be honest the nursing is my fathers idea and I was going along with it for awhile but I've been discovering more and more science and I love it all, too that last comment, I thought medicine was good cause I like people and science, so that throws alot of options out the door. PA is another option that I was looking at but that I can go to that from nursing. Your reccomendations are I have to admit exempliary. But if you are not technqually a nurse major but take some of the pre-requsites and then return to it and take all the courses needed can you still get the degree? Meaning can I switch form Biology(or chemistry perhaps) to nursing after I have my biology degree or would I have to take another 4 years to recieve my BSN? All the same thank you for the inciteful advice and you can be pleased with the thought that you actually have effected my decision to the better, my gratitudes

Thank you very much, that seems like a good idea. I've been looking into all of those to be honest. AA is a good option besides the lack of credibility as of now (something like 5 colleges?) And well to be honest the nursing is my fathers idea and I was going along with it for awhile but I've been discovering more and more science and I love it all, too that last comment, I thought medicine was good cause I like people and science, so that throws alot of options out the door. PA is another option that I was looking at but that I can go to that from nursing. Your reccomendations are I have to admit exempliary. But if you are not technqually a nurse major but take some of the pre-requsites and then return to it and take all the courses needed can you still get the degree? Meaning can I switch form Biology(or chemistry perhaps) to nursing after I have my biology degree or would I have to take another 4 years to recieve my BSN? All the same thank you for the inciteful advice and you can be pleased with the thought that you actually have effected my decision to the better, my gratitudes

Try writing a little more informally. It's a tad pretentious to write using so much formality and so many big words (especially when you spell them incorrectly ;) ). This is an internet forum, and while a few people will throw personal insults at each other based on the quality of their writing, most people are cool about it when you have a few lols and smileys. :cool::p:D:)

Going from a nursing degree to ANY other medical field is very difficult unless you have spent some time in the field. Furthermore, it can be a waste of time too. PA schools don't want Nursing majors any more than medical schools do because of the fact that it shows that you aren't committed to that speciality, based on the fact that you have your nursing major as a "back up". Why not forget about nursing all together. You say that you like science, be a scientist. There are plenty of non-medical jobs for someone with a degree in biology/biochemistry/etc besides research and teaching (especially if you go to grad school). Good luck!

Wow Gannador, I looked at your MDapplicants profile. Congratulations on your admission. Perhaps you will enlighten us with undergraduate survival tips (seriously).

Sorry Okkaoboy, I got a little busy last week and it looks like people are ignoring this thread, so here, I'll give you my best advice. This is what I would do, if I were in your shoes.

Firstly, we have been talking about AAs vs CRNAs. Maybe we should back up a bit. Why are you considering anesthesia? There are plently of other areas of medicine that you may like. I recommend you keep your options open.

Secondly, we have been having problems with you having a fallback major, and we are also having problems with you trying to keep your MD option feasible.

I reccomended getting a BS in biology; It has a solid foundation that you will be able to apply to Med, dental, optometry, and podiatry schools with. Then if you are rejected, you will have an option to get a Bachelors in Nursing or go a Bachelors in Physician Assistant Studies.

You asked about how long you go back to school for. I really wished they taught this stuff in high school because many kids who pass the AP exam, don't even know what credit they are getting or how it is used lol.

The first two years of college consist of mostly GEs, which are General Education Requirements (English, Math, Humanities, Social Sciences, Art, Real Science, ect) and some core major classes (If you are a biology major: Cellular and Organismal, Ecology, Genetics, ect). Yes, you have take take at least two to three classes out of your major in each of the above mentioned categories. The last two years will consist of mostly major classes. Note: some people mix the years around so they don't have all really hard science classes at the same time.

The point is to get a BA or a BS you have: your General Ed classes (2 years) plus your major classes (2 years). So if you want to double major, you have already completed the GEs, so you will just have to take another 2 years of major classes.

In conclusion two degrees will take approximately 6 years.

I reccomend you read the CATALOG of the university you wish to attend for the exact curriculum.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

You asked your question about AAs on the wrong forum Okkaoboyl this is the high school forum. If you scroll down on the main SDN forums page you will find a "Clinicians Thread" for PAs and NPs. You will have most of your other questions answered there. I and most people at SDN recommend becoming PAs because the quality of education is much better. It is really mini-medical school. Most of us believe that nurses are not taught well enough in NP school. I mean there are some NP schools completely online! PAs also have more clinical hours and have more surgical privileges.

Best of Luck,
Darklord

You seem awfully set or determined on this nurse thing, which is fine. Absolutely the other post on here about nursing being a more technical education is correct, my girlfriend is a nursing major and she does not have anywhere near the "core" (hard in a non difficult context) sciences that I have had to do.

She loves the major but it is no where near pre-med (at least not at my school).

So if you are a science fan (as you claim to be and obviously are) I don't know if you would particularly enjoy yourself as much with the nursing program.

For example she stopped at OChem I instead of II; has not had to take biochemistry, physics, histology, human physiology (just anatomy) or
organic lab.

As far as survival in pre-med (which is not a major by the way but more of a set of courses required) or in college in general you may need to kick that habit of being lazy.

And as stated earlier (and this is fine too...its your future) the odds of you sticking with your first major are small... if you are a avid learner many things become tempting as a career once college gets started.

I would have to agree with the previous threads nursing is more towards the technical science edu. I'm currently doing pre-nursing but, considering pre-med because of the stronger foundation of science classes. While nursing usually requires anatomy, physio, microbio and basic ochem, pre-med includes 1 yr bio/chem, 1 yr Ochem, 1/2 Physics etc. quite the load compared to nursing. My advice, if you like science classes definitely go with pre-med but, if your not sure about what major to choose because your indecisive about the health-care field then try nursing.