Should I skip Nursing School?

theblondefutureMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi yes, so I am a senior in high school and so excited because I will hopefully be valedictorian if the stars will align and the AP courses permit me so. However, I had my mind made up that I was going to a community college and going to get my associates in nursing by 2020. I was then going to continue getting an undergrad in psychology and then apply for med school or PA school. I was wondering if skipping nursing school altogether would be a good idea? I was doing nursing to get some clinical time and to make money while getting an undergrad degree. Please help! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to become a nurse, go to nursing school. If you want to become a physician, do well in college - jr college/college, take the mcat, and apply to med school.
If your goal is to become a PA or MD/DO, but you complete nursing school - your application could be passed over because you would need a very good reason to want to do such a drastic career change.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi yes, so I am a senior in high school and so excited because I will hopefully be valedictorian if the stars will align and the AP courses permit me so. However, I had my mind made up that I was going to a community college and going to get my associates in nursing by 2020. I was then going to continue getting an undergrad in psychology and then apply for med school or PA school. I was wondering if skipping nursing school altogether would be a good idea? I was doing nursing to get some clinical time and to make money while getting an undergrad degree. Please help! Thanks.
Under no circumstances should you ever go to nursing school if you plan on applying to medical school. It's a waste of your time and money and does nothing to advance your medical career. only go to nursing school if you want to be a nurse.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If... you complete nursing school - you're application could be passed over because you would need a very good reason to want to do such a drastic career change.
@Goro Are nurses with experience (not just fresh BSN grads → medical school applicants) discriminated in the medical consideration process?

I've heard about some Nurses going to Med School...Don't know how the admissions officers will perceive you being a Nurse applying for Med School...

Have you considered becoming an APRN? Going to Nursing school, getting experience as an RN, and then becoming something like an NP? They're very similar to PA's...

Good luck and congratulations on your academic success!

Reactions: 1 user

I am a 4th year medical student and a 15-year nurse. The plan was to do nurse anesthesia, but didnt like the curriculum and limited scope of practice when I got into school. So...I ended up doing the LONG route. Save yourself a lot of time/money.

Reactions: 1 users
Nursing school is a GPA killer. Anyone who's been to a nursing or allotted health program can recall that professor that "just doesn't give As." Furthermore, you put yourself in a box where people will question why you went to nursing school only to apply to medical school, something that is difficult to justify when you have no practice experience. Finally, premed prerequisites are hard to fit into a nursing degree, so it'll likely lengthen your undergrad time.

You already have shown your amazing work ethic and congratulations. Go to an affordable state university and earn the degree you most enjoy. Take the pre-reqs for the MCAT at your desired pace. Do some casual volunteer work of your choosing and/or work on some research and gain some shadowing hours from MD/DOs and you will be fine.

Going into nursing if you want to be a doctor isn't worth it. Ask yourself how far you want to go in your education, and depending on your answer pursue one or the other

Unless you truly want to be a nurse, don't go to nursing school.