Pre-med, or just give up...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxAZ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
---

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
why doesn't your husband want you to continue school? do you think you could go through medical school and residency without his support?

your stats look good enough to go to med school, but you'll have to resolve some of those issues at home first.

You are 29 years old and married to a physician. Clearly he is familiar with: 1) the cost, 2) the study time required, 3) the demands of the job. He may be selfish in wanting to spare himself (because you are a partnership) the cost of your continued education, the loss of your companionship over the next seven years as you go through medical school and residency, 3) the continued demands on your time once you begin practicing. Can you blame him?

Have the two of you dicussed children? If you plan to have chldren, do you agree on how they should be cared for in their early years? (does he see you as a stay at home mom for at least a couple years? could this be part of his objection?) I'm not expecting you to answer these questions here but to think about them.

Can you save your marriage and achieve your dream? If you had to go through life without one or the other (husband or degree) which would you let go of?

Members don't see this ad :)
As an Arizona resident apply to U of A.

If you show up to your interview, and sign your application form correctly then you have as good of a chance as anyone else.

Ok so here is the deal. I went to college out of high school primarily because my parents forced me to and since neither of my siblings went to college. I withdrew completely the first semester and for the next year or so, I had lots of Ws and Bs and Cs. I got married at 19, left school and began to work full time in retail. After 3 years, I went back to school full time as a premed student. I ended up making a 3.8 or so for about 2 years (Jr/Sr) and a few of Cs. I was also the primary caregiver for my father while he was battling cancer. During that time, I had also gotten a divorce (at 23 yrs) - he was a bum. Anyways, throughout the two years, I did LOTS of shadowing, I did some research at Baylor College of Medicine in genetics, and was a co-author for a publication. At 25, I still had a couple of premed classes to finish, but then i got engaged to a physician who pretty much told me to forget about med school. I tried to complete the classes "just in case", but i ended going part time, having some more Ws and and making some Cs. In the end, it took me 10, yes 10 years to finish college from the time I left high school. My overall GPA ended up being about 3.45, but I had quite a few Ws. Now, at 29, I am getting a Masters in biomedical science. I'm married, and my husband still tells me to forget about med school, but I know that it is my passion and dream. My Masters GPA is about 3.66--not too bad considering that I commute 3 hours a day and I'm not studying very much (husband gets annoyed with me being in school). I've never taken the MCAT......MY QUESTION is..with these stats, and with such a rocky history, not the best grades, quite a few Ws, is it even worth my time to try and take the MCAT and apply, or should I move on. I have a pharmacy school interview soon --the alternative, and the next best career I would enjoy, and with which I feel like I could do to keep my marriage. Advice??? Do the alternative, just go for the dream and accept all consequences, or don't bother -- doesn't look like I'll get in anyways....

As long as you explain to them why things happened the way they did, I think they'd understand. If none of the reasons are :bullcrap: then you'll bee fine.

You are 29 years old and married to a physician. Clearly he is familiar with: 1) the cost, 2) the study time required, 3) the demands of the job. He may be selfish in wanting to spare himself (because you are a partnership) the cost of your continued education, the loss of your companionship over the next seven years as you go through medical school and residency, 3) the continued demands on your time once you begin practicing. Can you blame him?

Have the two of you dicussed children? If you plan to have chldren, do you agree on how they should be cared for in their early years? (does he see you as a stay at home mom for at least a couple years? could this be part of his objection?) I'm not expecting you to answer these questions here but to think about them.

Can you save your marriage and achieve your dream? If you had to go through life without one or the other (husband or degree) which would you let go of?

This is the best response I can think of to make.

I'll just add that I don't think you would have a problem getting into medical school. Assuming you study hard and do okay on the MCATs you would be fine. The better questions are the ones proposed above, and only you can answer those.