pre-med reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simbalimba

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,

i have been checkin the websites for many of the med schools in the caribbean and they all say that a students needs to have 3 years of college or 90 credits including the pre-med reqs. I will be finishing my sophmore year and will only have about 65 credits, but I will have all of my pre-med reqs fulfilled (I will be taking orgo 2 this summer, but if the schools down there let me in without it, I would like to not have to take that also). So my question is are there schools in the caribbean who will still let me enroll? Also at my school I don't have to take an english courses (I go to Illinois Institute of Technology) so I don't have the one year of english most medical schools also look for. So if you guys know of any schools in the caribbean which will let me enroll with what i have this coming fall, please let me know. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you have a high GPA, you stand little chance of making to one of the better schools.

BUT you can enroll in one of the more shady schools at your own risk.

What's the hurry anyway?

simbalimba said:
hello,

i have been checkin the websites for many of the med schools in the caribbean and they all say that a students needs to have 3 years of college or 90 credits including the pre-med reqs. I will be finishing my sophmore year and will only have about 65 credits, but I will have all of my pre-med reqs fulfilled (I will be taking orgo 2 this summer, but if the schools down there let me in without it, I would like to not have to take that also). So my question is are there schools in the caribbean who will still let me enroll? Also at my school I don't have to take an english courses (I go to Illinois Institute of Technology) so I don't have the one year of english most medical schools also look for. So if you guys know of any schools in the caribbean which will let me enroll with what i have this coming fall, please let me know. Thanks.

McGillGrad said:
Unless you have a high GPA, you stand little chance of making to one of the better schools.

BUT you can enroll in one of the more shady schools at your own risk.

What's the hurry anyway?

I want to finish as soon as possible, my gpa is a little below a 3.6. I have heard that I won't get into the top schools like Ross or Saba, but I was wondering about all the other schools, if I could get in there with what I have so far?

Members don't see this ad :)
simbalimba said:
I want to finish as soon as possible, my gpa is a little below a 3.6. I have heard that I won't get into the top schools like Ross or Saba, but I was wondering about all the other schools, if I could get in there with what I have so far?

I understand that you want to finish, but why? What is the hurry?

MUA and that caliber will accept you, though.

McGillGrad said:
I understand that you want to finish, but why? What is the hurry?

MUA and that caliber will accept you, though.

I want to finish as soon as possible so that I can start practicing. I think the best way to learn is to actually do it, and I have taken most of my science classes already, all I have let are like computer science and humanties classes which I have no desire to take. Also this way I will hopefully be able to enjoy my twenties a little more. Thanks for the advice and info.

Do you feel that there is something special that you can offer medicine that compels you to skip gaining life experience and learning about the humanities and other courses intended to give you a well-rounded general education?

When a patient wants to discuss their philosophy of life, will you be able to understand their viewpoint or can you maintain a conversation when the topic of literature or societal forces creeps into the conversation? The point is that pop culture, high culture and even polite Smalltalk is built on a strong base of the humanities.

You may be a competent physician but will you be able to communicate successfully with you patients, your colleagues and the people pulling the purse strings? That is what differentiates a competent doctor and a great physician who encourages seismic paradigm shifts in thought.

simbalimba said:
I want to finish as soon as possible so that I can start practicing. I think the best way to learn is to actually do it, and I have taken most of my science classes already, all I have let are like computer science and humanties classes which I have no desire to take. Also this way I will hopefully be able to enjoy my twenties a little more. Thanks for the advice and info.