Pre-Med Requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djsbaseball2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently finishing up my first year at a UC and wanted to ask a quick question. My health advising office claims I only need 2 quarters of Calculus and 1 quarter of Statistics for Medical School requirements. I passed the AP Calculus test and it allowed me to skip my first calc class (009A) and jump into 009B. I took 009B got an A- and then took 009C and received a C. I also have AP credit for Stats and my counselor said that requirement is fulfilled and i could take an upper-level stats course if i wanted. I also was originally a math major when I took 009C but switched to Neuroscience before the end of that quarter. The neuroscience degree does not require that 009C course and only requires 009A and 009B. My question is, do I need to take stats despite already having credit for it? Also, if that 009C course is not a major requirement am I able to do-away with that grade?Is a full year of Calculus required even if you have AP credit?

Members don't see this ad.

How do you plan to "do away" with your calc grade? It's there, you didn't withdraw, I'm confused.

I would take the stats class again in your senior year as a refresher for med school, if your school requires it. Don't worry about it now, focus on the pre med classes that will help you with the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
@LilKangaroo Its not that I plan to to "do-away" with the calc grade, i was just curious as to whether it would even factor in to any GPA or anything as it is basically a wasted class in the eyes of my major requirements. Im not trying to make big deal about because odds are, it won't even matter in the end, as I have been doing very well in Biology, and Chemistry so far, it is just a nuisance that could have easily been avoided.

@LilKangaroo Its not that I plan to to "do-away" with the calc grade, i was just curious as to whether it would even factor in to any GPA or anything as it is basically a wasted class in the eyes of my major requirements. Im not trying to make big deal about because odds are, it won't even matter in the end, as I have been doing very well in Biology, and Chemistry so far, it is just a nuisance that could have easily been avoided.
All transcripts for classes taken beyond high school must be submitted to AMCAS and will become part of your undergraduate gpa with regard to medical school admission.

Thank you! @gyngyn Couple questions while I'm at it, what is your opinion on me obtaining my EMT-Basic License this summer and potentially looking for a summer job next summer while studying for MCAT? Also, i spoke with my volunteering coordinator at Loma Linda Hospital in California and she mentioned that professional schools seemed to call in and verify that an applicant had the accurate amount of hours and she mentioned somewhere around 500 hours was this threshold. Do you have any comment on this?

Thank you! @gyngyn Couple questions while I'm at it, what is your opinion on me obtaining my EMT-Basic License this summer and potentially looking for a summer job next summer while studying for MCAT? Also, i spoke with my volunteering coordinator at Loma Linda Hospital in California and she mentioned that professional schools seemed to call in and verify that an applicant had the accurate amount of hours and she mentioned somewhere around 500 hours was this threshold. Do you have any comment on this?
If you actually used it, the license is fine, but not necessary for clinical contact. 500 volunteer hours is way more than enough.

@djsbaseball2014 Thanks for the clarification. gyngyn is right. Your C in calculus is going to factor into your overall GPA and in your science GPA (sGPA) for medical school applications. It will hurt you, but if it's the only C you get through this journey, I think you'll be fine.

FWIW on your other questions, I would suggest just focusing on the MCAT (no summer job if you can help it). I had 250 hrs of volunteer work and it was never an issue.