MD Pre-Med, School List: 3.6 GPA, 522 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NaCCosu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I posted a thread a while back, but now that I have my list more finalized I would like more input. Here are my stats:
I'm going to be a senior at OSU, Ohio resident.
Cumulative GPA: 3.594 (Hoping to get this above 3.6 this semester, I averaged a 3.2 freshman year and a 3.8 for sophomore and Junior fall semester)
Science GPA: 3.59
MCAT Scores: 522 (132/128/131/131)
Research – I'm going to estimate ~1500 hours. No publications, unfortunately, but researched under the head of psychology for OSU for 2 years now. I have presented 1 poster as well. Researching schizophrenia using microdialysis.
Volunteering (clinical) – 160 Hours at Grant Hospital
Physician shadowing – 30 Hours - ~26 for neurosurgery (~5 of those for clinic days) and ~4 for orthopedic surgery. (Going to try to get 50 hours before I apply)
Non-clinical volunteering - Only 20 hours so far. Joined Camp Kesem over the summer (as a camp counselor for kids who have a parent with cancer), joined my neuroscience honorary and doing any volunteering opportunities I can for that, so will have around 1-200 hours by the end of July.
Extracurricular activities - Treasurer of Nu Rho Psi (Neuroscience honorary), Camp Kesem
Employment history - Possibly may be an MCAT tutor for Next Step/Kaplan for the next year, will hear back next week.
Please include time span and weekly commitment for volunteering/research/shadowing/extracurriculars.
Research - 3 years, ~30 hours/week over the summer, ~15 hr/week during school
Clinical volunteering - 1 year, 5hr/week initially, now 3hr/week
Nonclinical volunteering - Usually only 2-3 hr/week, with some opportunites
Immediate family members in medicine? No, I would be the first MD in my immediate family history
Specialty of interest - Neurosurgery, but I am keeping an open mind to all fields
Shadowing experience - Orthopedic surgery and Neurosurgery
Graduate degrees - None
Interest in rural health (y/n) - Open to the concept, so yes.

Here is my school list:

Albert Einstein
Boston U
Case Western
Duke
Hofstra
Icahn at Mount Sinai
NYU
Northwestern
OSU
Toledo
UCLA
University of Cincinnati
University of Colorado
University of Miami
University of Michigan
University of Pittsburgh
University of Virginia
Cornell
Wright State
Yale

I know I have a few reach schools, are any plain unreasonable/add more middle-tier schools? I would like to keep the list at 20 or below.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Delete U CO, UCLA, ADD:
Mayo
Pitt
UCSF
WashU
ALL OH schools
Emory
JHU
Vandy
U VM
Columbia
Keck

Here is my school list:
Albert Einstein
Boston U
Case Western
Duke
Hofstra
Icahn at Mount Sinai
NYU
Northwestern
OSU
Toledo
UCLA
University of Cincinnati
University of Colorado
University of Miami
University of Michigan
University of Pittsburgh
University of Virginia
Cornell
Wright State
Yale

I know I have a few reach schools, are any plain unreasonable/add more middle-tier schools? I would like to keep the list at 20 or below.