Pre-med student/EMT NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jli

One Day...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a Pre-Med student and I am very interested in becoming an EMT for one of my Extracurricular activities for my application to medical school. Does anyone know where I could get trained to become an EMT in New york for a limited amount of money or free if possible? I found plenty of places that provided training but the cost of them are extremely expensive, for me that is. Is there a way that I could be trained for free or at least under $700? Also, if I do get trained and become EMT certified, would the people that train me provide me with a job? and How long does EMT classes usually take? I am also a student, so my schedule isn't that great, it would be great if any places offer training at night or weekends.
If there isnt any classes under $700, that would be fine. Does anyone know what places to get trained at would be the best.
I could go to any borough except long island, queens and Bronx. Prefer Brooklyn though.
Also, i want to work for the FDNY, if anyone knows how.
Another question, How much does EMT get paid and how long does it take to become a paramedic?
Any information would be great.
Thanks, Jli

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am a Pre-Med student and I am very interested in becoming an EMT for one of my Extracurricular activities for my application to medical school. Does anyone know where I could get trained to become an EMT in New york for a limited amount of money or free if possible? I found plenty of places that provided training but the cost of them are extremely expensive, for me that is. Is there a way that I could be trained for free or at least under $700? Also, if I do get trained and become EMT certified, would the people that train me provide me with a job? and How long does EMT classes usually take? I am also a student, so my schedule isn't that great, it would be great if any places offer training at night or weekends.
If there isnt any classes under $700, that would be fine. Does anyone know what places to get trained at would be the best.
I could go to any borough except long island, queens and Bronx. Prefer Brooklyn though.
Also, i want to work for the FDNY, if anyone knows how.
Another question, How much does EMT get paid and how long does it take to become a paramedic?
Any information would be great.
Thanks, Jli

First of all, is that the only reason you want to become an EMT? Just so it would look good on your application? If so, then I would advise against it. If you truly want to work in EMS to gain some awesome clinical experience, then by all means, go for it. I'm an EMT (in nyc ;)), and the work is awesome. Just be aware of what you're getting yourself into, and make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. You'll either end up loving it or hating it, depending upon where you work, and depending upon, well, you of course.

You can get a volunteer ambulance squad to sponsor you for the course, which would then be at no cost to you. Go to your local squad, ask them if they sponsor (you might have to volunteer with them for some time though). If not then courses don't really run for cheap. I don't think you'll find any courses under $700 these days. I think Brooklyn has a couple of EMT schools. Google them, I'm not too sure.

FYI, FDNY does not accept part-time/per-diem EMTs-they only hire full time EMTs. You have to go through their academy even after you graduate from EMT school. It's a LONG process, and not worthy of your time since you are a pre-med student looking to get into medical school eventually. Besides, FDNY pay sucks :thumbdown: Try a local 911 participating hospital. My local hospital pays $19.50/hr, plus 10% for late night shifts and overtime as well :thumbup:

Training does not guarantee you a job (especially if you're fresh from school), and it definitely does not guarantee you a job in nyc. My training took the entire summer, from May-August, 4 days a week, 4 hours a night. If you want to be a paramedic, you have to get certified as an EMT first, and then go to paramedic school (which is usually a year long/full time, and which is a waste of time for you).

I think that about covers it. Once again, I would advise against this if the only reason you want to become an EMT is to enhance your application/resume. But if you want to get some hands on experience, then go for it. Good luck.

Look to your school. A lot of colleges are offering EMT classes for credit now, especially if you have a school EMS squad.

Members don't see this ad :)
to become a paramedic its a 18 month course. Its equivalent to 66 college credits.

First of all, is that the only reason you want to become an EMT? Just so it would look good on your application? If so, then I would advise against it. If you truly want to work in EMS to gain some awesome clinical experience, then by all means, go for it. I'm an EMT (in nyc ;)), and the work is awesome. Just be aware of what you're getting yourself into, and make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. You'll either end up loving it or hating it, depending upon where you work, and depending upon, well, you of course.

You can get a volunteer ambulance squad to sponsor you for the course, which would then be at no cost to you. Go to your local squad, ask them if they sponsor (you might have to volunteer with them for some time though). If not then courses don't really run for cheap. I don't think you'll find any courses under $700 these days. I think Brooklyn has a couple of EMT schools. Google them, I'm not too sure.

FYI, FDNY does not accept part-time/per-diem EMTs-they only hire full time EMTs. You have to go through their academy even after you graduate from EMT school. It's a LONG process, and not worthy of your time since you are a pre-med student looking to get into medical school eventually. Besides, FDNY pay sucks :thumbdown: Try a local 911 participating hospital. My local hospital pays $19.50/hr, plus 10% for late night shifts and overtime as well :thumbup:

Training does not guarantee you a job (especially if you're fresh from school), and it definitely does not guarantee you a job in nyc. My training took the entire summer, from May-August, 4 days a week, 4 hours a night. If you want to be a paramedic, you have to get certified as an EMT first, and then go to paramedic school (which is usually a year long/full time, and which is a waste of time for you).

I think that about covers it. Once again, I would advise against this if the only reason you want to become an EMT is to enhance your application/resume. But if you want to get some hands on experience, then go for it. Good luck.

First, thank you so much for your response. and I know that becoming an EMT would be very challenging especially when your a Pre-Med student, but I want to get that experience, clincal experience, hands on, out there in the world, experience reality, being able to save people, help people, and do something at least for your community. Also, I know that it would be a plus on my resume:)

and for the volunteer abulance squad to sponsor me, how exactly do i do that?, it unfortunate that I won't be able to work for the FDNY, I really give alot of respect to them. :(

Money isn't really the problem because you can't place a price on experience right? But if there would be a free course offering of course that would be the best, I am a student afterall and money is really a problem for me.
okay paramedic would be out of the question for me from now on. :laugh:

once again thank you so much pookie for giving me an response, but if you don't mind, would you tell me how did you become an EMT, what is the best way to become an EMT, Whatadvice would you give me in becoming an EMT, and Would paying $800+ for EMT course be worth it? and what company are you working for?

Thanks so much again

Look to your school. A lot of colleges are offering EMT classes for credit now, especially if you have a school EMS squad.

unfortunately, my school doesn't offer it. Even if they do, the price are extremely high for me, the cheaper the course would be better for me. :(

First, thank you so much for your response. and I know that becoming an EMT would be very challenging especially when your a Pre-Med student, but I want to get that experience, clincal experience, hands on, out there in the world, experience reality, being able to save people, help people, and do something at least for your community. Also, I know that it would be a plus on my resume:)

and for the volunteer abulance squad to sponsor me, how exactly do i do that?, it unfortunate that I won't be able to work for the FDNY, I really give alot of respect to them. :(

Money isn't really the problem because you can't place a price on experience right? But if there would be a free course offering of course that would be the best, I am a student afterall and money is really a problem for me.
okay paramedic would be out of the question for me from now on. :laugh:

once again thank you so much pookie for giving me an response, but if you don't mind, would you tell me how did you become an EMT, what is the best way to become an EMT, Whatadvice would you give me in becoming an EMT, and Would paying $800+ for EMT course be worth it? and what company are you working for?

Thanks so much again

I sent you a PM :)

FYI, FDNY does not accept part-time/per-diem EMTs-they only hire full time EMTs. You have to go through their academy even after you graduate from EMT school. It's a LONG process, and not worthy of your time since you are a pre-med student looking to get into medical school eventually. Besides, FDNY pay sucks :thumbdown:

Actually, this is the exact path that I took and now I am a second-year emergency medicine resident with a solid foundation in EMS. Nothing wrong with spending some time in the field before going to medical school.

I sent you a PM :)

Hey Pookie!
Any chance you could forward me some of this info? I am currently taking an EMT-B class and am trying to figure out employment in NYC this summer.
Thank you!
~Steph