Pre-med student interested in Millitary Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior in my undergrad degree in biology currently and I am planning on going to medical school.

I have a 3.7 GPA, volunteer work, research, I have no idea what I will make on the MCAT. So I am just concerned with getting into medical school and want to know what everyone thinks about pursuing a millitary medical career so that I can get accepted into a millitary medical school.

Is that even an option? Are there millitary medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

DoctorPardi said:
I am a junior in my undergrad degree in biology currently and I am planning on going to medical school.

I have a 3.7 GPA, volunteer work, research, I have no idea what I will make on the MCAT. So I am just concerned with getting into medical school and want to know what everyone thinks about pursuing a millitary medical career so that I can get accepted into a millitary medical school.

Is that even an option? Are there millitary medical schools?

option, yes....................and there is a military medical school. You can read various entries from other military docs on this site; most all docs do not recommend military med at this time. Most students (having not been to the "front lines") do not want to hear that.

USAFdoc said:
option, yes....................and there is a military medical school. You can read various entries from other military docs on this site; most all docs do not recommend military med at this time. Most students (having not been to the "front lines") do not want to hear that.

Does this millitary medical school accept applicants at a higher rate than civilian schools?

Is this an appropriate option to someone who say couldn't get in to another medical school if they are dead set on being a doctor?

I would like to think I can get accepted to a civilian medical school but I have no illusions as to the difficulty of medical school acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
DoctorPardi said:
Does this millitary medical school accept applicants at a higher rate than civilian schools?

Is this an appropriate option to someone who say couldn't get in to another medical school if they are dead set on being a doctor?

I would like to think I can get accepted to a civilian medical school but I have no illusions as to the difficulty of medical school acceptance.

I think you are being foolish to think that the military option will be any less rigorous than any other medical school. USUHS and HPSP are not places for those who can't cut it on the outside. If anything, they are (at least should be) places for those who can handle not only the heavy academic workload but also the challenges associated with being part of a military at war. Despite the problems with military medicine, the soldiers and servicemembers deserve the best, not a bunch of rejects from other med schools. If the only reason you are thinking about the military is because you're worried about not getting in somewhere else, then I suggest you work to improve you application rather than lowering your standards.

roboyce said:
I think you are being foolish to think that the military option will be any less rigorous than any other medical school. USUHS and HPSP are not places for those who can't cut it on the outside. If anything, they are (at least should be) places for those who can handle not only the heavy academic workload but also the challenges associated with being part of a military at war. Despite the problems with military medicine, the soldiers and servicemembers deserve the best, not a bunch of rejects from other med schools. If the only reason you are thinking about the military is because you're worried about not getting in somewhere else, then I suggest you work to improve you application rather than lowering your standards.

Ok I am admittedly ignorant to the millitary. I however have noticed a pattern of people joining the millitary for college gain. I didn't join the millitary becaue I had a scholarship for college, my step brother joined the marines because he did not.

Also I know a lot of people choose the millitary becaue they are patriotic or want to serve their country, or their family has a history of millitary service etc. However, for me one of the reasons I was looking into the millitary is that I thought it might be a place where I could get accepted if I didn't get accepted at a civilian medical school. If I am wrong about that then it is only because I had no clue. I didn't mean to offend you in anyway. Also I don't think of myself as a substandard applicant that couldn't handle civilian medical school, and wanted the "ease" of millitary medical school. I certainly didn't think the millitary medical school lifestyle would be easier. I thought if anything I would have to work harder to make up for my getting free tuition, books etc. A price I planned on paying if I didn't get accepted into a civilian school.

Anyway I am not sure I am very interested in millitary medical schools now reading your comments and some other posts because I am not sure that they will offer me anything I'd like that a civilian experience couldn't give me.

DoctorPardi said:

The "military med school" USUHS won't be any easier for you to get into then civilian med schools. However, it is easier for people with prior service in the military to get into.

DoctorPardi said:
Anyway I am not sure I am very interested in millitary medical schools now reading your comments and some other posts because I am not sure that they will offer me anything I'd like that a civilian experience couldn't give me.

I get alot of questions about the military medicine programs when I'm at interviews because of my background (which is comical because I have almost no military medicine experience). However, the question I always get is "I'm thinking about doing the military thing (HPSP) because I could come out of med school without any debt, do you think I should do it?" Rather than delve into the intricacies of the positives and negatives of the military, which are thoroughly listed on this site, I simply respond with the question, "would you do it if they didn't offer you money?" I think this is the key question that everyone has to ask themselves because the military is more than just a job, it is a complete lifestyle change, in other words, it is a way of life. There is no amount of money that can compensate for the sacrifices you will make. You have to go into it knowing that you volunteered because you wanted to be a part of it, for whatever reason (patriotism, personal excellence, challenge, etc). You will hate yourself for the duration of your committment if you think that the military is just another route to becoming a doctor. You have to want to wear the uniform. If this is how you really feel, then I think you can be happy in the military no matter how bad the conditions. If you don't feel this way, then I think you will be unhappy, even if you were assinged to a non-deployable unit in Hawaii doing breast exams on the sweedish bikini team. That's a decision you'll have to make for yourself.

Do us all a favor and don't become a military doctor because you think it is an easy way for you to get into medical school. I hope it isn't true, but if it is, I don't want the secret to get out, lest my future colleagues become even less competent.

Sledge2005 said:
The "military med school" USUHS won't be any easier for you to get into then civilian med schools. However, it is easier for people with prior service in the military to get into.

If that is the case, then why was I never even invited for an interview at USUHS as an active duty line officer??? But, I was selected for HPSP... Go figure... I don't believe you...