Pre-Med Study Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IvanD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a freshman and am thinking of studying abroad at some point during my career here in college. I was thinking of the Danish program which is geared towards premed students, essentially a watered down version of courses in first year med school.

Will this be beneficial in terms of my future chances at med school? For some reason, I heard someone say that pre-med + study abroad = disaster. I can't really figure out why.

But here's the website for the pre-med program, http://www.dis.dk/study-abroad/programs/medical-policy/.

What do you guys think? Beneficial or should I stick with coursework here.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I'm not set on this program. I'm also contemplating http://www.sea.edu/home/index.aspx SEA semester.

I honestly think I will have more fun at SEA semester as spending 6 weeks out at sea is something I've always wanted to do, but should I sacrifice that for going to Denmark for a pre-med program?

Also, if anyone knows of any other pre-med program similar to the one in Denmark, please enlighten me!

I've heard good things about the Danish program. I did the Practice of Medicine program at King's College London and really enjoyed that. It's less structured than the Danish program so there's a little more room for the non-studying part of studying abroad...but you'll still end up studying way more than the average study abroad kid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I'm a freshman and am thinking of studying abroad at some point during my career here in college. I was thinking of the Danish program which is geared towards premed students, essentially a watered down version of courses in first year med school.

Will this be beneficial in terms of my future chances at med school? For some reason, I heard someone say that pre-med + study abroad = disaster. I can't really figure out why.

But here's the website for the pre-med program, http://www.dis.dk/study-abroad/programs/medical-policy/.

Thanks!

Why would it be a disaster? My one regret from my undergrad years is not doing a study-abroad program, and I know plenty of people who did one and still got in. In fact, it probably HELPED them to be able to talk about China, or Denmark, or Laos in their interviews. Not everyone has that kind of experience, and it's all about setting yourself apart from the pack. Go for it, by all means. Just make sure you get your prereqs done on time too.

Don't limit yourself to purely premed programs either--you're only in college once, and you won't have another chance in your life like it to explore different subjects. You'll have plenty of medically-related education in medical school.

I did the Medical Practice and Policy program and I can't recommend it enough. The course was awesome, Copenhagen is a great city, and the whole program is really set up in a way that you can really enjoy being abroad (plenty of time for traveling and stuff as well). If you can fit it into your schedule, go for it. That goes for pretty much any abroad program...if you can do it, do it. Plus according to my study abroad office at least, DIS is actually considered pretty prestigious.

Hey all,

Thanks!

I'm currently debating between the DIS and SEA semester. Anyone have any insight?

SEA semester is a program where you spend 6 weeks on land studying oceanography and spending 6 weeks doing independent research on board a research vessel. I really feel like I would have the time of my life there. (http://www.sea.edu/home/index.aspx)

But at the same time DIS seems like a really good opportunity to learn more about the field of medicine and med schools like the DIS program.

What do you guys think?

I'm currently debating between the DIS and SEA semester. Anyone have any insight?

SEA semester is a program where you spend 6 weeks on land studying oceanography and spending 6 weeks doing independent research on board a research vessel. I really feel like I would have the time of my life there. (http://www.sea.edu/home/index.aspx)

But at the same time DIS seems like a really good opportunity to learn more about the field of medicine and med schools like the DIS program.

What do you guys think?

This is really a case where it comes down to what you want. I chose the DIS program since the fact that the core program was very medically focused and had some of the features it did (like the study tours and class taught in a hospital) really appealed to me. It also was a program that my school had previous connections to, making credit transfer really easy. But if the SEA program appeals to you more, then go for it.

One suggestion might be to meet with a study abroad or academic advisor at your school to ask about things like program cost (schools handle this differently) or what sorts of credits you'd be able to transfer back from each program. But I'm pretty sure you'll have an awesome experience at either program -- this is the point where we can offer opinions but as to what's right for you is really something only you know.

I studied abroad, was the best time of my life.

Went to Netherlands for a Semester and I got a Semesters worth of units and only missed 1 quarter at my home University.

All of the classes were easy, were worth tons of units and counted towards my BCPM GPA.

Id say boosting your Science GPA + having time of your life sounds good right?

Also I was accepted to many medical schools so whoever said they dont mix is probably a Sociology Major.

It's certainly not going to be a "disaster." Studying abroad is awesome and definitely one of those deeply enriching/enlightening activities. If you can do it, do it.

The only reason it might be a "disaster" is because getting transcripts could be a pain. But that's not enough to say you shouldn't do it, IMO.

I studied abroad, was the best time of my life.

Went to Netherlands for a Semester and I got a Semesters worth of units and only missed 1 quarter at my home University.

All of the classes were easy, were worth tons of units and counted towards my BCPM GPA.

Id say boosting your Science GPA + having time of your life sounds good right?

Also I was accepted to many medical schools so whoever said they dont mix is probably a Sociology Major.

I definitely feel the same way!

Why would you do Semester at Sea? For a study abroad program, DIS is pretty rigorous; Semester at Sea is a joke. I went to a top LAC, and most students study abroad. Whenever the study abroad director discussed programs, Semester at Sea (which my college prohibited students from doing, at least if they wanted academic credit and financial aid) was always the butt of jokes: for the Semester at Sea program, it sounded as if education was always secondary to partying and drinking. Since college, I have met two people who did Semester at Sea, and from both of their experiences, it truly sounded like the program--even for a study abroad program--was not academically rigorous.

Semester at Sea is not to be confused with SEA semester.

See website: http://www.sea.edu/home/index.aspx

This program includes a 6 week onshore component with a strong scientific research emphasis then a 6 week on board a tall ship research vessel and conduct independent research. I've read nothing but amazing reviews about SEA semester (http://www.rateyourstudyabroad.com/sea-semester).

Barchyury, if you don't mind me asking which LAC did you go to? I'm currently in a LAC too, and also an international student. So it's going to be an uphill battle for me to get into med school, but I've heard success stories so I'm going to try.

Semester at Sea is not to be confused with SEA semester.

See website: http://www.sea.edu/home/index.aspx

This program includes a 6 week onshore component with a strong scientific research emphasis then a 6 week on board a tall ship research vessel and conduct independent research. I've read nothing but amazing reviews about SEA semester (http://www.rateyourstudyabroad.com/sea-semester).

Barchyury, if you don't mind me asking which LAC did you go to? I'm currently in a LAC too, and also an international student. So it's going to be an uphill battle for me to get into med school, but I've heard success stories so I'm going to try.

Oh, I feel so stupid, sorry about that. Your SEA program looks intersting

Honestly, pick which one you are going to enjoy more. You most certainly do not need to do a pre-med program abroad. I studied abroad for a semester and did not gain any science/pre-med credits. I did shadow a doctor while I was there, but aside from that there was no academic focus on pre-med.

Studying abroad is an amazing experience, and no matter which program you end up picking, you won't regret it.

Hi Ivan,

my name is Carla... I am an Alumna of the SEA Semester program and have a pretty interesting story about my own study abroad experience as well... I'd love to chat with you about SEA and what I went through to make study abroad happen for me (despite every single one of my advisors telling me there was no way I could complete 2 study abroad programs and still graduate on time...) not only did I graduate on time - summa cum laude - but I returned to SEA after graduation to work as a crew member on board our ships. SEA was the single most influential experience (both academic and personal) of my college career....and I would really love to chat with you more about it! please feel free to email me at [email protected]